9 News of the prisoner
9 有關囚犯的消息
The next morning I was sitting in the garden in the sun when suddenly I saw young Rupert of Hentzau on horseback coming through the trees towards me.
第二天早晨,我正坐在陽光下的花園里,突然看見魯帕特騎著馬穿過樹林朝我走來。
He was not afraid of my men,but asked to speak with me alone.He said he had a message for me from the Duke of Strelsau.
他并不怕我的人,但是請求和我單獨談談。他說他有斯特萊索公爵給我的口信。
I asked my friends to move away,and Rupert came and sat down near me.
我請朋友們離開,然后魯帕特過來在我旁邊坐了下來。
'Rassendyll,'he began,'the Duke….'
“拉森狄爾,”他開始說,“公爵……”
'Don't you know how to speak to the King?'I asked.
“難道你不知道應該怎樣對國王說話嗎?”我問。
'Why pretend with me?'
“干嗎跟我裝假?”
'Because it isn't finished yet.'
“因為事情還沒完。”
'well,I'm here because I want to help you…'
“好吧,我來這兒是因為我想幫助你……”
'Then give me the message.What does the Duke want?'I asked.
“那就告訴我那個口信。公爵想要什么?”
'He wants you to leave.He'll take you safely out of the country and give you a hundred thousand pounds.'
“他要你離開。他會幫你安全地離開這個國家。而且會給你10萬英鎊。”
'I refuse,'I replied immediately.
“我拒絕。”我立即回答。
Rupert laughed.'I knew it!'he cried.'Duke Michael doesn't understand men like us!… You must die,then,'he added carelessly.
魯帕特笑了:“我知道,”他說:“邁克爾公爵不了解你我這樣的人!……那么你就得死。”他漫不經心地加了一句。
'Yes,'I answered.'But you won't be alive to see me die!'I laughed.'How's your prisoner?'I added.
“對。”我回答:“不過你也別想活著看到我死!”我笑著說:“你的犯人怎么樣了?”
'Alive,'he replied.'How's the pretty Princess?'
“還活著!”他回答:“美麗的公主怎么樣了?”
I took a step towards him.'Go now,before I kill you,'I shouted angrily.
我朝他跨了一步,“在我殺了你之前趕緊滾!”我生氣地喊道。
Rupert turned, but suddenly he came back.He put out his right hand.'Shake hands!'he called.
魯帕特轉過身,但他突然又回來了。他伸出右手,叫道:“握握手吧!”
Of course,he knew what I would do.I put my hands behind my back.Quickly,his left hand moved towards me.
他當然知道我會怎么做。我把手放在背后。他的左手卻一下子伸過來,
In it he held a dagger and it was coming straight at my heart!I jumped to one side,and the dagger went deep into my shoulder.
手里的短劍直刺向我的心臟。我跳向一邊,短劍深深地刺進我的肩膀。
Before my friends could do anything,Rupert of Hentzau was on his horse and galloping through the trees.
沒等我的朋友反應過來,魯帕特已經上馬跑進了樹林。
I heard my men going after him with their guns and then everything went black.
我聽見我的人開槍追趕他,然后一切都變黑了。
When I awoke it was dark,and Fritz was at my bedside.He told me that I was not badly hurt,and that the plan to catch Johann had been successful.
我醒來時天已經黑了。弗里茨坐在我的床邊。他說我的傷不重,并且告訴我我們抓約翰的計劃已經成功了。
'He seems pleased to be here,'Fritz said.'I think he's afraid of Duke Michael.'
“他看上去很高興能呆在這兒。”弗里茨說,“我想他害怕邁克爾公爵。”