Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei.
大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目,我是菲菲。
And I'm Rob.
我是羅伯。
Hey Rob, have you ever wondered what you'd be doing if you weren't here?
嘿,羅伯,你有沒有想過如果不在這里,你會做什么?
Hmmm... Lying on the sofa, watching TV I expect.
嗯…躺在沙發上,看著電視,我猜。
No Rob. I mean in your career – if you weren't a talented presenter like you are?
不,羅伯。我是說在你的職業生涯中——如果你不是現在這樣一位才華橫溢的主持人?
I'd be a financial whizz-kid: investing in the stock market, making loads of money.
我會成為金融神童:投資股市,賺大把的錢。
A whizz-kid? You mean someone young, very clever and successful at doing something?
神童?你是說年紀輕輕、聰明過人且在某方面非常成功的人?
Yes, that's a whizz-kid! I don't know why I didn't do it.
是的,那就是神童!不知道為什么我沒有那么做。
Do you want me to tell you?
需要我告訴你嗎?
No. Let's just hear about some other whizz-kids who are young, intelligent and successful, just like me…
不了,我們還是聽聽其他一些年輕、聰明且成功的神童的故事吧,就像我一樣……
My nephew is a computer whizz-kid: he earns a fortune fixing people's laptops!
我侄子是個電腦小天才,他靠修筆記本電腦賺了一大筆錢!
Our new financial whizz-kid has come straight from university and he's doing really well.
我們新來的金融奇才剛從大學畢業,他表現得非常出色。
She was a whizz-kid at university, so it's no wonder she's now a partner at one of the top legal firms.
她大學時是天才,難怪她現在成了頂級律所的合伙人。
So they are whizz-kids – clever, successful or skilful people – and most of all, they are young, like kids! And there's the problem Rob.
他們就是神童——聰明、成功或技藝高超的人——最重要的是,他們還很年輕,就像孩子一樣!這就是問題所在,羅伯。
A problem?
問題?
Yes, you're not young anymore.
是的,你已經不年輕了。
OK, clever then!
好吧,聰明!
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.
嗯,我不太確定。
Alright, successful – one out of three isn't bad.
好吧,成功了一個,三個里面有一個,還不算太糟。
Well, erm, errr…
嗯,呃,那個……
OK. Perhaps I'd never be a financial whizz-kid. Maybe I'll stick to my other plan.
好的。也許我永遠成不了金融奇才。或許我還是堅持我的另一個計劃吧。
Which is?
是哪個?
Sitting on the sofa, watching TV. I'm off to do it now. Bye.
坐在沙發上,看電視。我現在要去了。再見。
Hmm, not a whizz-kid then, just a lazy man. Bye.
嗯,不是什么神童,只是個懶漢。再見。