Hello, I'm Neil…
大家好,我是尼爾...
… and hello, I'm Feifei and welcome to The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲,歡迎來到地道英語節目。
Now Feifei, here's a question for you. If you had some news what would do?
菲菲,我有個問題要問你。如果你得到了什么消息,你會怎么做?
Hmm, I would tell someone of course.
嗯,我肯定要告訴別人。
Yes but some good news, some amazing, incredible news about yourself – like for example, I'm having a baby.
是的,但一些好消息,一些關于自己的令人驚訝的、難以置信的消息-比如,我要有孩子了。
Are you really?
真的嗎?
Of course not – but if you had exciting news like that, how would you tell people?
當然不是--但是如果你有這樣激動人心的消息,你會怎么告訴別人?
I'd use social media… tell all my friends… tell everyone in the office… I would shout about it – but not literally.
我會使用社交媒體……告訴我所有的朋友……告訴辦公室里的每個人……我會把它公之于眾--不是大喊大叫哦。
Exactly! Which is why, in English, we say we would 'shout it from the rooftops' which means we would share some information publicly so everyone knows.
沒錯!所以在英語中,我們會說“shout it from the rooftops”,它是指我們會公開分享一些信息,讓每個人都知道。
I guess this is how people shared important news before TV, radio and the internet had been invented.
我想這就是電視、廣播和互聯網發明之前人們分享重要新聞的方式。
Exactly. They would climb up somewhere high and shout it out! Let's hear some examples…
沒錯。他們會爬到高處并大聲喊出來!我們來聽一些例子.
Congratulations for getting a first in your degree, you should go and shout it from the rooftops!
恭喜你獲得學位第一名,你應該讓所有人都知道!
I know you won the lottery but don't shout it from the rooftops; otherwise everyone will be after your money!
我知道你中了彩票,但不要大聲宣布;不然每個人都會追著你借錢!
We all know Ming is in love with JiYuen, he's been shouting it from the rooftops!
我們都知道明愛上了吉源,他告訴了所有人!
So to shout something from the rooftops means to tell everyone your good news. Hold on a minute Neil, I do have some good news… I am getting a pay rise!
所以shout something from the rooftops,意味著告訴每個人你的好消息。等一下尼爾,我確實有些好消息……我加薪了!
Sorry, what did you say?
抱歉,你說什么?
I am getting a pay rise!
我加薪了!
OK, no need to shout. Feifei, be careful, there are some things you don't want to shout from the rooftops – that news will just upset people.
好吧,不用喊了。菲菲,小心點,有些事情你可不想讓所有人都知道--這種消息只會讓人心煩意亂。
Like who?
比如誰?
Like me. I didn't get one. But congratulations anyway.
比如我。我沒有加薪。但不管怎樣,還是恭喜你。
Bye.
再見。