Welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Neil.
歡迎來到地道英語節目,我是尼爾。
And I'm Feifei.
我是菲菲。
Actually, Feifei, can you help me with something?
其實,菲菲,你能幫我個忙嗎?
Go on.
說吧。
There's this girl I like. I want to ask her for coffee. But I don't want to seem too serious or creepy or anything. Just friendly.
有個我喜歡的女孩,我想約她喝咖啡,但不想顯得太嚴肅或讓人不舒服,就是友好地邀請一下。
And you're writing her a message? OK.
你在給她編輯消息?好。
I just can't find the words.
我實在找不到合適的用詞。
Easy. Stick a couple of emojis on there. Much less formal!
簡單,貼幾個表情符號上去,就沒那么正式了!
You mean, like, a smiley face?
你是說,比如,一個笑臉?
Yeah, but those are so last year.
是啊,但這些都已經過時了。
Maybe a love heart?
或者一顆愛心?
Seriously? That's a bit too much. You need to up your emoji game!
不是吧?那有點過頭了。你的表情包水平得提升一下了!
My emoji game… like an emoji of a video game… or a football?
我的表情游戲…像電子游戲的表情包…還是足球?
No. The phrase 'to raise your game', or 'to up your game', means to improve.
不是,“to raise your game”或“to up your game”的意思是提升、改進。
Yes, it's a good phrase. Feifei, you're not working hard enough, you need to up your game!
嗯,這個表達很不錯。菲菲,你不夠努力,你得加把勁了!
That's not true… but good use of 'up your game'. The phrase has now developed a bit. We often add what we're trying to improve before the word 'game'.
才不是呢……不過“up your game”這個表達用的不錯。這個短語現在有了一些發展。我們經常在“game”這個詞前面加上我們想要提升的內容。
Like this:
像這樣:
I never finish novels. I need to up my reading game.
我的小說都沒讀完過,我得提升閱讀水平了。
I badly need to work on my interview game before my big interview next week.
我急需在下周的重要面試前好好準備我的面試技巧。
You could do with a bit more exercise, mate. You should raise your running game!
老兄,你得多鍛煉鍛煉了,該提升你的跑步水平啦!
Great. Hope those examples help. Any progress with that text message?
很好。希望這些例子能幫上忙。那條短信有什么進展嗎?
Here goes: "Lucy. Please have a coffee with me tomorrow." And then some coffee emojis.
內容如下:“露西,明天請和我一起喝杯咖啡。”然后是一些咖啡的表情符號。
Well, it's direct! But I still think we need to up your emoji game. Actually, and your texting game. Oh, and your dating game… We've got a lot of work to do!
嗯,很直接!不過我還是覺得你需要提升一下表情符號的使用技巧。實際上,還有你的短信交流技巧。哦,對了,還有你的約會技巧……我們有很多工作要做呢!
Oh, ok. Well I already sent the message. Let's hope it works! And she's replied already.
哦,好吧。嗯,我已經把消息發出去了。希望這招能管用!而且她已經回復了。
No way, what did she say?
不是吧,她說什么?
"Neil. I thought you'd never ask! I'd love to have coffee. 3pm?" And then a couple of big smiley emojis.
"尼爾,我還以為你永遠不會開口呢!我很樂意一起喝咖啡。下午3點怎么樣?"后面有幾個大大的笑臉表情符號。
Wow, congratulations. Maybe it's me who needs to up my game.
哇,恭喜啊,或許是我該加把勁了。
Looks like it!
好像是哦!
Bye.
再見。