Smirting 以借火和某人搭訕
Diarmuid: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Diarmuid. 大家好,歡迎來到BBC地道美語節目。我是圣保羅。
Feifei: 大家好,我是馮菲菲。 Why are you looking so happy Diarmuid? 圣保羅,為什么你看上去那么開心?
Diarmuid: Well, earlier today, I was outside on my telephone, when a lady asked me for a lighter. 嗯,今天早晨我在外面打電話,一位女士過來問我借打火機。
Feifei: 打火機。
Diarmuid: Yes, I think she might have been trying to smirt with me. 是的,我以為她是來問我借火的。
Feifei: 她想和你干什么 smirt?
Diarmuid: Yes, smirt, S.M.I.R.T, smirt. Now smirt is a slang word to describe flirting with another person when you are smoking. 這個單詞是當你們在吸煙的時候和某人調情的。
Feifei: It sounds like smoking and flirting have been joined together to make the word smirting. 聽上去是吸煙和調情這兩個詞加在一起構成了這個詞。
Diarmuid: Exactly, that is how the word smirting is created. 確實是,這就是這個詞構成。
Feifei: 原來是這個意思,今天早上問 Diarmuid 借火的這個女孩子其實對 Diarmuid 有好感,所以以借火為由和他搭訕。
Diarmuid: Yes, but I didn't have a lighter, because I don't smoke, so that was the end of the conversation. 是的,但是我沒有打火機,因為我不吸煙,所以就不了了之。
Feifei: Was she pretty? 她可愛嗎?
Diarmuid: She was very pretty. 她非常可愛。
Feifei: Oh well. She'll probably be there tomorrow if you want to talk to her again. 現在在英國幾乎所有的公共場所,像辦公室,飯館兒,都是禁煙的,所以想抽煙的朋友們只能去戶外抽煙。What do people usually say when they are smirting? 以借火搭訕的時候會說什么呢?
Diarmuid: It depends. Here is an example of some people smirting: 這得看情況。下面是一些人以借火和某人搭訕的實例:
Example
A: Hi, could I borrow your lighter? 嗨,我能借用一下你的打火機嗎?
B: Sure. 當然。
A: Thanks. Are you new here? 謝謝,你是新來的嗎?
B: Yeah, I just started in the IT department. 是的,我剛來,在IT部門。
A: Oh great, I work in the office right next to you. 哦,很好,我就在你旁邊的辦公室里工作。
B: I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other. 我想我們會經常見面的。
Feifei: All this talk of smirting is making me feel a little lonely. 不知道我什么時候才能遇到夢中的白馬王子呀!
Diarmuid: You do know that smoking is bad for you and that there are healthier ways to meet a nice guy than to smirt. 你一定知道吸煙對你有害,除了借火搭訕這種方法,還有很多好的方法去認識好人。
Feifei: I know. 我知道。
Diarmuid: Ok, well that's all for today. 好的,今天的節目就到這兒了。
Feifei: Don't forget you can learn more Authentic Real English words and expressions by logging onto our website www.bbcchina.com.cn. See you soon. 別忘了登陸我們的網站,你可以學更多的地道美語習語。再見。