Greasy Spoon 廉價便利小吃店
Feifei: Hello everybody. This is Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Feifei. 大家好,這里是BBC地道美語節目,我是菲菲。
Diarmuid: Hello I'm Diarmuid. 大家好,我是圣保羅。
Feifei: 在地道英語里你會學到英國人日常生活中常用到,而且通常在字典和課本里找不到的單詞和短語。You're looking very pleased and contented today, Diarmuid. 圣保羅,今天你看上去很高興和滿足嘛。
Diarmuid: I am very happy today Feifei. Why? Because I had my breakfast at my local greasy spoon this morning. 我今天非常高興,菲菲。為什么?因為我今天早晨在附近的廉價便宜小吃店吃了早飯。
Feifei: Greasy spoon? 油膩的勺子?這是什么意思,I don't understand. How could you have breakfast at a greasy spoon? 我不是很懂。你怎么在油膩的勺子里吃飯?
Diarmuid: Because greasy spoon is a slang phrase. 因為greasy spoon是一個俚語。
Feifei: Slang俚語。Greasy spoon是一個俚語短語。
Diarmuid: Yes, greasy spoon is slang. 是的,這是一個俚語。
Feifei: So what does it mean? 是什么意思呢?
Diarmuid: A greasy spoon is a name for a café that serves cheap meals. 廉價便宜的小店供應咖啡和便宜的餐點。
Feifei: 我明白了,原來 a greasy spoon is a café 就是一個廉價便利小吃店,這個小店里的吃的要比一般飯館兒的價錢便宜很多。I have seen lots of these kinds of cafés around Britain but I didn't know they were called greasy spoons. 我在英國見過很多種這樣的咖啡店,但是我不知道它們用這個詞表達。
Diarmuid: Yes, greasy spoons are very common in the UK. You can find them everywhere. 是的,便宜便利店在英國很常見,你可以在很多地方看到。
Feifei: But why are they called greasy spoons? 用這個名字來形容一個小吃店好像有點兒不妥吧?
Diarmuid: People probably call these cafés greasy spoons because the food they serve there is nearly always fried food. 人很可能稱咖啡店為便宜便利店,它們供應的幾乎都是油炸的食物。
Feifei: 油炸食品 fried food.
Diarmuid: Yes, I suppose it's a kind of joke. The fried food served in the café is so oily, or greasy, that even the spoons are greasy. 是的,我猜這是一個笑話。咖啡店里的油炸食物高油高脂,甚至勺子都是油的。
Example
A: Where shall we go for lunch? There's a new health-food restaurant near here. 我們去哪里吃午飯?附近有一個新開提供健康食物的店。
B: I don't really want to eat salad and vegetables. 我確實不想吃色拉和蔬菜。
A: OK, let's go to the greasy spoon for a fry-up. 好的,那我們去廉價便利店去吃油炸食物。
B: Mmm, that sounds great. I'm going to have sausage and chips. 嗯,聽起來很不錯。我想吃香腸和薯片。
Feifei: You know, eating at a greasy spoon doesn't sound very healthy to me. 你知道,在廉價便利店里吃東西對我來說不是很健康。
Diarmuid: I think you're probably right there. You shouldn't eat at a greasy spoon every day. 我想你應該去那吃,你不應該每天都在廉價便利店吃東西。
Feifei: 每天都吃油炸食品對身體是非常不好的。
Diarmuid: Mmm, the problem is the food from a greasy spoon tastes good to me. 嗯,問題是廉價便利店的東西我覺得很好吃。
Feifei: I know. Why does unhealthy food always taste so good? 我知道。為什么不健康的食物味道都很好呢?
Diarmuid: That's a question for another day Feifei. For now it's time to go. 菲菲,這個問題下期我們再來討論吧。現在改結束節目了。
Feifei: If you want to learn more Authentic Real English, just visit our website. 如果你想學習更多的地道美語,請訪問我的網站。
Diarmuid: That's www.bbcchina.com.cn. Drop by often, there are new programmes every day. 網站上有很多近期每天的新節目。