Yang Li: So Derm, what's your favourite food? 圣保羅,你最喜歡吃的食物是什么?
Diarmuid: Hmmm, Pizza. 嗯,匹薩。
Yang Li: Nice. Do you eat it often? 很不錯。你經常吃嗎?
Diarmuid: Oh, as often as possible Li. 哦,我經常吃的。
Yang Li: But do you know how to make it, where to find the best ingredients for it, where the best place to eat it is, and the history of the dish? 但是你知道怎么做,在哪里能找到制作材料,哪里能吃到最好的匹薩,還有有關它的歷史嗎?
Diarmuid: Well I... no, I can't say I know that much. 嗯,我……,不,我不是很清楚。
Yang Li: Well, in that case, you're not a foodie. 嗯,如果你都知道的話,你就是美食家了。
Diarmuid: I suppose you're right. A foodie, F.O.O.D.I.E. is a person who not only enjoys eating food, but is also fascinated by everything about it. 我想你是對的。一個美食家,是不僅喜歡吃,而且對于有關食物的其它的東西也應該很清楚。
Yang Li: 今天的地道英語單詞就 foodie,這個詞用來表示一個熱愛并精通食品的人——比如去哪家餐館能吃到最佳特色菜,還有做某道菜所需要的最好配料,甚至連某道菜的來歷都了如指掌。
Diarmuid: Are you a foodie Li? 李,你是美食家嗎?
Yang Li: Well I do love food—don't we all? But I wouldn't say I'm a foodie. 只有在一個人把食品作為一種專長的時候才可以被形容為一位美食家 a foodie. 嗯,我的確喜歡食物——我們不都喜歡嗎?但是我不能說我是一個美食家。
Diarmuid: Listen to this person talking about food—you could say he is a foodie. 來聽這個人闡述食物,你可以稱他是美食家。
Example:
A: I finally booked a table at the new Spanish restaurant. There's a three-month waiting list, you know. 最終我在新西班牙餐館定了一張餐桌。你知道的,要提前三個月預約的。
B: Really? You have to wait three months? 真的嗎?你等了三個月?
A: Yes, but I really have to go there. It's run by this amazing chef who creates wonderful organic sauces. He used to work in a famous French restaurant, but has just opened his own place. I can't wait. 是的,但是我不能不到那兒去。那是由一個了不起的用有機調味汁調制的食物。他常常在有名的法式餐廳里工作,但是剛剛開了屬于自己的店。我等不及了。
B: Well, enjoy it! 嗯,好好享受吧!
Yang Li: (To listeners) 收音機前的聽眾朋友,你是不是一位美食家呢?Are you a foodie? 你是個美食家?
Diarmuid: Or do you just love food? 還是僅僅喜歡食物?
Yang Li: 說到美味佳肴嘛,我們大家都喜歡,不過你是不是愿意作出額外的努力去研究菜譜?
Diarmuid: You know what Li? I might not be a foodie, but all this talk of food is making me... 李,你知道什么?我可能不是一個美食家,但是我們說這些讓我覺得……
Yang Li: Hungry? 餓了嗎?
Diarmuid: Oh yes. Lunch! 哦,是的,午餐!