Now, for some reason people love this idiom: "a double-edged sword", "Everything is a double-edged sword."
由于某種原因,人們很愛"a double-edged sword"(雙刃劍)這個習語,"Everything is a double-edged sword."(每件事都是一把雙刃劍)。
The problem with a double-edged sword is that there's two sides to it, and most people don't realize that. Right?
“雙刃劍”的問題在于它有兩面,但大部分人沒有意識到這一點,對嗎?
If you're going to use an idiom, make sure you're using it correctly.
如果你們要用習語,請確保你們使用正確。
So, this idiom, "a double-edged sword" means that something, or a situation, or an action has both a positive side and a negative side.
那么,這個習語, "a double-edged sword"的意思是,某個事情或者一個狀況,或一種行為既有積極的一面也有消極的一面。
So if you're going to use this idiom, you better explain to the reader: what is the positive, what is the negative? Okay?
所以如果你們要用這個習語,最好給讀者解釋一下什么是積極的,什么是消極的。
So, this sentence is a double-edged sword.
然后說這個句子是一把雙刃劍。
If you can write it like this, then yeah, you're getting a bonus point.
如果你們能這么寫,那么,沒錯,你們會得到額外的分數。
But on the other side of it, if you write... if you make any mistakes in it, you're losing points.
但是,另一方面,如果你們寫......你們在其中犯了任何錯誤,都會丟分。
So be very careful with vocabulary, extra words that you don't need, and idioms.
所以在詞匯、你們不需要的額外單詞和習語方面要多加小心。
Now, another thing: Long, complicated sentences, they don't need to be.
現在我們來講另一個問題:長句、復雜句,它們不用這樣的。
Remember I said they're run-on sentences, now, another thing you have to worry about is redundancy.
記得我說過它們是流水句嗎?你們要擔心的另一件事是"redundancy"(冗余)。
This is a big word, but I'll write it here.
這是個大詞,不過我會把它寫在這兒的。
If something is redundant, it means it's unnecessary.
如果某個東西是冗余的,那就說明它是不必要的。
"The CEO's tenure at the company", now, here you noticed I put "at the company".
就拿"The CEO's tenure at the company"來說吧,你們注意到我在這里寫了"at the company"。
Here... here, I didn't put "the company", why?
這里......這里我沒有寫"the company",為什么?
A CEO is a head of a company, it's understood that the time at the company, I don't actually need to say it.
CEO是一家公司的領導,所以就能理解為在公司的時間,我不用真的把它說出來。
If you can use three words to say something, don't use five.
如果能用三個單詞把某件事說出來,就不要用五個。
If you can use five, don't use 10.
如果能用五個,就不要用十個。
Less is more, just like when you're putting on makeup, another analogy, there, for you. Okay?
少即是多,就像化妝一樣,這是給你們的另一個比方,聽懂了嗎?
So, this is the most common mistake, let's look at a few more.
所以,這是最常見的錯誤,我們再來看幾個。
Okay, so now we're a little bit busy, here, but I'll squeeze everything into one shot so it's much easier for you.
現在我們這里有點擁擠,不過我會把所有內容都擠進一塊兒,這樣對你們來說就簡單的多了。
What I'm going to do, I'm going to begin by looking at a very classic task, either IELTS or TOEFL will give it to you.
我要做的是,我要從看一個很經典的試題開始,這個題你們要么會在雅思考試碰見,要么會在托??吹?。
"Parents make the best teachers. Do you agree or disagree? "
"Parents make the best teachers. Do you agree or disagree? "(家長是最好的老師,你同意嗎?)