But there were some mysteries.
但是仍有一些難以理解的事情。
First,when you look at a typical Namibian painting or engraving,
首先,當你看到一個典型的納米比亞繪畫或雕刻時,
you see the tracks are repeated,there are dozens of tracks for the same animal.
你會看到重復的足跡,有許多相同動物的足跡。
You'd expect just one clear illustration if the reason - the aim - was to teach tracking.
如果目的是教追蹤的話,你希望用一個清晰的圖例。
Now there were two more problems.
現在,還有兩個問題。
Why are some of the engravings of animals very accurate as you'd expect - all clearly identifiable - andothers quite unrealistic.
為什么有些雕刻的動物如你所想的那樣非常精準,容易辨別,而另一種卻非常不切實際。
And another mystery - some of these unrealistic animals - that's in the engravings - seem to be half human.
另一個神秘的事是,石刻上的一些動物是虛幻的,看上去半人半獸。
Some,for example,have got human faces.
例如,有些具有人的面孔。
Many researchers now think that these were pictures the wise men engraved of themselves.
許多研究者現在認為這些圖片是智者雕刻出的自畫像。
They believed they could use magic to control the animals they had drawn,so the hunters could then catchthem for food.
他們認為自己可以用魔法控制他們畫出的動物,所以狩獵者可以捕食它們。
This shows you some of the dangers of coming from one culture to another, as we'll be doing,without understanding it fully.
這表明在我們沒有完全理解之前,從一種文化到另一種文化之間存在著某種危險。
Scholars imagined that children looked at rock art pictures to learn to track - just because they themselves had learnt skills from pictures;
學者們認為孩子通過石刻藝術的圖片學習蹤跡,正是因為他們自己從圖片上學到了技能;
many researchers now believe that rock art had a much more complex purpose.
許多研究者現在認為石刻藝術有更復雜的用途。
And we'll talk more about it next week!
下周我們會詳細地講解!