Lesson 4 Christmas
第四課 圣誕節
Memories of Christmas
圣誕節的回憶
For me, Christmas always began in the middle of the cold, windy month of November.
圣誕節對我來說總是始于寒冷多風的11月中旬。
My sister, Alison, and I sat down in front of the fire
我和姐姐愛麗絲坐在火爐前,
and wrote a letter to Father Christmas telling him about all the presents we wanted.
給圣誕老人寫信,把所有我們想要的禮物都告訴他。
We seriously wrote "Father Christmas, the North Pole" on the envelope, before giving them to our mother to post.
我們把信交給媽媽郵寄前,在信封上認真地寫上“圣誕老人,北極”。
With December our excitement grew each day -
12月到來,我們一天比一天興奮—
as we opened the new year calendar, Christmas cards arrived in the post,
我們打開新年日歷,信箱里寄來了圣誕賀卡,
Christmas lights appeared in the streets, and we attended the town carol service.
街上掛起了圣誕燈,我們參加圣誕詩歌禮拜。
And of course, there was snow everywhere.
當然,到處都是雪。
Enough snow to make snowmen, and to have exciting snowball fights in the school playground.
雪多得足夠我們在學校操場上堆雪人、令人興奮地打雪仗。
On Christmas Eve, the whole family helped to decorate the house,
圣誕前夜,全家幫忙裝飾房間,
put up the Christmas tree, the decorations and the balloons.
布置圣誕樹、裝飾,吹起氣球。
Then, in the afternoon, when Auntie Kathleen and my two cousins arrived, everything was ready.
之后到了下午,凱思琳姨媽和我的兩個表兄弟來了,萬事都準備妥當。
Before we went to bed, we left some wine and biscuits for Father Christmas
上床之前,我們為圣誕老人留下一些葡萄酒和小點心,
and then put our stockings at the end of our beds.
然后把襪子放在床邊。