We tried to stay awake as long as possible to see Father Christmas
我們盡可能久地,努力堅持不睡著,以便能看看圣誕老人,
but the next thing we knew it was morning. Christmas morning!
但是我們所能記著的就是第二天早上了。圣誕節的早晨!
At the bottom of the bed was the stocking, now full of all kinds of small presents and sweets.
襪子在床角,里面放滿了各種小禮物和糖果。
Christmas morning was bright and sunny and, after church,
圣誕節的早晨明亮又晴朗,禮拜歸來,
my cousin David and I went out into the garden to play with our new presents.
我和表兄大衛出去到花園玩我們的新禮物。
Lunch was always late, but what a lunch!
午餐通常晚開飯,可那是多么豐盛的午餐啊!
A big turkey with all the vegetables followed by Christmas pudding.
各種蔬菜、一只大火雞,最后還有圣誕布丁。
I like turkey breast the best.
我最喜歡吃火雞的雞胸肉。
I put so much food in my mouth sometimes that it was hard to swallow.
我有時嘴巴里塞滿很多食物,難于吞咽。
We sang Christmas carols happily, laughed at jokes, put on silly paper hats and laughed again.
我們愉快地唱著圣誕頌歌,笑著講笑話,戴上傻乎乎的紙帽子,又笑了起來。
After lunch, the adults slept on the sofas in front of the Queen's speech on television while we all played cards.
午餐后,電視上正在播放女王的電視講話,大人們在電視機前的沙發上睡了,而我們都在玩撲克牌。
Then we had tea, with a huge Christmas cake covered with snowmen.
之后我們喝茶,吃著雪人蛋糕。
It didn't seem possible, but we carried on eating.
雖然有點不可能,但是我們一直在吃。
By bedtime all of the children were very tired.
到該上床睡覺時,所有孩子都很累了。
As soon as we turned off the light, we all fell into a deep, happy sleep.
剛一關燈,我們就都進入了香甜的夢香。