Unit 3
第三單元
Computers
計算機
Reading
閱讀
Who Am I?
我是誰?
Over time I have been changed quite a lot.
經過一段時間我已經被改變了很多。
I began as a calculating machine in France in 1642.
1642年我在法國誕生時是一臺計算機器。
Although I was young I could simplify difficult sums.
盡管當時我還年輕,但是我能簡化一些復雜的數學題。
I developed very slowly and it took nearly two hundred years before I was built as an analytical machine by Charles Babbage.
我發育緩慢,差不多到了兩百年之后,查爾斯 巴比奇才把我制成了一臺分析機。
After I was programmed by an operator who used cards with holes,
在操作員用穿卡孔為我設計程序后,
I could “think” logically and produce an answer quicker than any person.
我能夠進行邏輯“思考”,并且能夠比任何人更快地算出答案。
At that time it was considered a technological revolution and the start of my “artificial intelligence”.
那時這被當作是一次技術革命,也是我“人工智能”的開始。
In 1936 my real father, Alan Turing,
在1936年,我真正的父親艾倫 圖靈
wrote a book about how I could be made to work as a “universal machine” to solve any difficult mathematical problem.
寫了一本書,講述了怎樣使我成為一臺“通用機器”來解決任何數學難題。
From then on, I grew rapidly both in size and in brainpower.
從那時起,我在體積和腦容量方面迅速成長。
By the 1949s, I had grown as large as a room, and I wondered if I would grow any larger.
到二十世紀四十年代,我已經長得像一間屋子那么大,我不知道是否還會長得更大。
However, this reality also worried my designers.
但是,這個現實也使得我的設計者很擔心。
As time went by, I was made smaller.
隨著時間的推移,我被弄得越來越小。
First as a PC (personal computer) and then as a laptop,
先是用作個人電腦,后來又被做成便攜式。
I have been used in offices and homes since the 1970s.
自二十世紀七十年代以來,我一直被用在辦公室和家庭里。
These changes only became possible as my memory improved.
這些變化只有隨著我的存儲能力的不斷提高才成為可能。
First it was stored in tubes, then on transistors and later on very small chips.
最初是被存儲到電子管中,以后是晶體管上,后來是非常小的芯片上。
As a result I totally changed my shape.
因此,我已經完全改變了我的形狀。
As I have grown older, I have also grown smaller.
隨著我的年齡越來越大,我也變得越來越小。
Over time my memory has developed so much that, like an elephant,
隨著時間的推移,我的記憶能力發展得如此之快,就像一頭大象一樣,
I never forget anything I have been told!
從來不會忘記告訴我的任何事情!
And my memory became so large that even I couldn't believe it!
我的存儲容量變得如此巨大,連我自己都不能相信!
But I was always so lonely standing there by myself, until in the early 1960s they gave me a family connected by a network.
但是我總是孤孤單單地站在那里,直到二十世紀六十年代初,人們才給了我一個用網絡聯成的家庭。
I was able to share my knowledge with others through the World Wide Web.
我能夠通過萬維網和其他人分享我的知識。
Since the 1970s, many new applications have been found for me.
從二十世紀七十年代起,我又被開發出了很多新的用途。
I have become very important in communication, finance and trade.
我在通訊、金融和商業領域變得非常重要。
I have also been put into robots and used to make mobile phones as well as help with medical operations.
我還被放在機器人里面,被用來制作移動手機,并且用來幫助作醫療手術。
I have even been put into space rockets and sent to explore the Moon and Mars.
我還被放置在航空火箭里去探測月球和火星。
Anyhow, my goal is to provide humans with a life of high quality.
不管怎樣,我的目標是給人類提供高質量得生活。
I am now truly filled with happiness that I am a devoted friend and helper of the human race!
現在我充滿了幸福感,因為我是人類忠實的朋友并時時給他們提供幫助。