Unit 4
第四單元
Wildlife Protection
野生生物保護
Reading
閱讀
How Daisy Learned to Help Wildlife
戴茜是如何學會保護野生動物的
Daisy had always longed to help endangered species of wildlife.
戴茜一直以來都渴望幫助那些瀕臨滅絕的野生動植物。
One day she woke up and found a flying carpet by her bed.
一天她醒來,發現床邊有一塊飛毯。
"Where do you want to go?" it asked.
飛毯問:"你想去哪兒?"
Daisy responded immediately. "I'd like to see some endangered wildlife," she said.
戴茜立刻回答道:"我想去看看瀕臨滅絕的野生動物。"她說到。
"Please take me to a distant land where I can find the animal that gave fur to make this sweater."
"請帶我到遙遠的地方,在那里我可以發現為制作這件毛衣而提供毛絨的那種動物。"
At once the carpet flew away and took her to Tibet.
飛毯立刻開始起飛了,帶她到了中國的西藏。
There Daisy saw an antelope looking sad.
在那里,戴茜看到一只藏羚羊面帶憂郁的神色。
It said, "We're being killed for the wool beneath our stomachs.
它說:"為了取得我們肚皮底下的羊毛,我們正在被屠殺。
Our fur is being used to make sweaters for people like you.
我們的毛被用來為像你一樣的人們制作毛衣。
As a result, we are now an endangered species."
因此,我們現在瀕臨滅絕了。"
At that Daisy cried, "I'm sorry I didn't know that.
聽了這話,戴茜哭了:"我很抱歉,我過去不知道還有這回事兒。
I wonder what is being done to help you.
我不知道為了幫助你們正在采取什么措施。
Flying carpet, please show me a place where there's some wildlife protection."
飛毯啊,請把我帶到一個有野生動植物保護的地方去,好嗎?"
The flying carpet traveled so fast that next minute they were in Zimbabwe.
飛毯飛行得如此之快,以至于一轉眼他們就來到了津巴布韋。
Daisy turned around and found that she was being watched by and elephant.
戴茜轉過身去,看到一頭大象正望著她。
"Have you come to take my photo?" it asked.
大象問道:"你是來給我拍照的嗎?"
In relief Daisy burst into laughter.
戴茜如釋重負,突然笑了起來。
"Don't laugh," said the elephant, "We used to be an endangered species.
大象說道,"不要笑。我們過去是瀕危動物。
Farmers hunted us without mercy.
農民們總是慘無人道地捕殺我們。