No, but there are little things in the bottle. You can't see them now, but they'll show up later. The water of the sea is full of things.
不,水里還有些小東西,現在看不見,以后會顯現出來的,海水里有好多東西。
Salt, perhaps.
或許有鹽吧。
No, living things. If I look hard I can see some of them now.
不,還有活物呢。要是使勁兒看,我現在就能看見一些。
You can imagine seeing them. Mr. Van Dusen, are you going to help me or not?
你可以想象你能看到。范杜森先生,你打算幫我還是不幫?
What do you want me to do?
你想要我做什么呢?
Open the oyster of course, so Clay will see for himself that there's no pearl in it.
把這只牡蠣打開,讓克萊親眼看到里面沒有珍珠。
So he'll begin to face reality, as he should, as all of us should.
這樣他就能夠面對現實。而這正是他應該做的,也是我們所有人都應該做的。
Clay, do you mind if I look at the oyster a minute?
克萊,讓我看看這只牡蠣,行嗎?
There's a big pearl in it, Mr. Van Dusen.
這里面一定有顆大珍珠,范杜森先生。
Clay...Roxanna... Greeley... I wonder if you'd go to Wozzeck's.
克萊……洛克莎娜……格里利……你們能不能去一趟沃采克的鐘表店,
Tell him to come the first chance he gets. I'd rather he open this oyster. I might damage the pearl.
請他盡快來一趟。我希望由他來打開牡蠣,我怕自己會把珍珠弄壞了。
OK, Mr. Van Dusen. (They go out.)
好的,范杜森先生。(他們走了。)
What pearl? What in the world do you think you're trying to do to the minds of these children?
什么珍珠?你到底要給孩子們灌輸什么思想,
How am I ever going to teach them the principles of truth with an influence like yours to fight against?
有你這樣的人影響他們,我怎么能教他們學會面對現實?