She won't last a month. Why not?
她呆不過一個月。為什么?
Too pretty. Our school needs an old battle-ax, not a bathing beauty. Well, Harry, what's new?
太漂亮了。我們的學校需要個厲害的娘們兒,不需要泳裝美人。哦,哈里,有什么 新鮮事嗎?
Just the teacher, I guess.
我想就是這位新老師的到來。
You know, Harry, the beach isn't what it used to be—not at all.
我說,哈里,海灘今非昔比,大不如前了。
I don't mind the competition we're getting from the kids.
我倒是不介意咱們跟孩子們競爭。
It's just that the quality of the stuff the sea's washing up isn't good any more.
主要是海水沖上來的東西質量不行了。
I don't know. Clay Larrabee found an oyster this morning.
我看不見得,今天早晨克萊·拉臘比還找到只牡蠣。
He did? Well, one oyster doesn't make a stew, Harry. On my way home I'll drop in and let you see what I find.
是嗎?不過一只牡蠣也燉不成一鍋湯,哈里。我從海邊回家的時候再來,讓你看看我找到些什么玩意兒。
OK, Judge. (The Judge goes out. Harry comes to life suddenly and becomes businesslike.)
好吧,評判員。(評判員離去,哈里突然回過神來,想起了他的生意,忙了起來。)
Now, for the haircut! (He removes the towel he had wrapped around the writer's head.)
這下該給你理發了。(他撤去包在作家頭上的毛巾。)
Take your time.
不著急。
(He examines the shears, clippers, and combs.)
(他檢查剪刀、推子和梳子。)
Let's see now.
好,這就開始了。
(The writer turns and watches. A gasoline station attendant comes to the door.)
(作家轉過身向外看去,加油站的一位服務員來到門口。)