Are you suggesting we play a trick on Clay?
你是不是建議我們使個花招欺騙克萊?
Well, maybe it is a trick. I know Wozzeck's got a few pretty good-sized cultivated pearls.
怎么說呢,也許算是一個花招吧。我知道沃采克有幾顆個兒不小的人工養殖的珍珠。
You plan to have Wozzeck pretend he has found a pearl in the oyster, is that it?
你打算讓沃采克假裝在牡蠣里找到顆珍珠,是嗎?
I plan to get three hundred dollars to Clay.
我打算弄300美元給克萊。
Do you have three hundred dollars? Not quite.
你現在有300美元嗎?還沒有這么多。
What about the other children who need money?
其他家里缺錢的孩子怎么辦?
Do you plan to put pearls in oysters for them, too? Not here. Everywhere.
你打算也為他們把珍珠放入牡蠣里面?不僅僅 是這里,到處都一樣。
This isn't the only town in the world where people are poor, where fathers and mothers fight, where families break up.
在這個世界上不只是這個鎮子上的人窮、父母打架、家庭不和。
No, it isn't, but it's the only town where I live.
你說得對,但唯獨此地是我居住的地方。
I give up. What do you want me to do?
我說不過你。你想要我干什么?
Well, could you find it in your heart to be just a little less sure about things when you talk to the kids—I mean, the troubled ones?
怎么說呢,對待孩子,我的意思是有問題的孩子們,你能不能不要那么肯定,跟他們說道理的時候不要把話說得那么不留余地?
You can get Clay around to the truth easy enough just as soon as he gets his father home. (Arthur Applegarth comes in.)
等克萊把他父親弄回家以后,你就容易讓他面對現實了。(阿瑟·阿普爾加思走進來。)
Judge Applegarth, may I present Miss McCutcheon?
阿普爾加思評判員,請允許我向你介紹麥卡琴小姐。
An honor, Miss.
很榮幸見到你,小姐。
How do you do, Judge?
你好,評判員!
We are honored to have you. The children, the parents and—the rest of us.
孩子們,家長們——還有其他所有的人,我們都很高興你能來我們鎮。
Thank you, Judge. I'll be back as soon as I change my clothes.
謝謝你,評判員。我換好衣服立刻回來。
I told you not to whisper.
我對你說過,不要耳語。
I shall expect you to give me a poodle haircut.
我希望你給我剪個鬈毛狗那樣的短發。
Are you out of your mind?
你瘋了。
Good day, Judge. Good day, Miss.
再見,評判員。再見,小姐!
(While he is bent over he takes a good look at her knees, calves, ankles, and sandals.
(彎下身的時候,他好好看了看她的膝蓋、小腿、腳腕和涼鞋。
Miss McCutcheon goes out. Judge Applegarth looks from the door to Harry.)
麥卡琴小姐走出店門。阿普爾加思評判員的目光從門口轉到哈里身上。)