Just wanted to say your car's ready now.
我來告訴您車已備好了。
Thanks. (The attendant goes out) Look, I'll tell you what. How much is a haircut?
謝謝。我跟你說,剪一次發多少錢?
The regular price is a dollar. It's too much, though, so I generally take a half or a quarter.
正常的價格是一美元。這太貴了,所以我通常只收半價或是25美分。
I've changed my mind. I don't want a haircut after all, but here's a dollar just the same.
我改變主意了,不剪發了,不過還是要照付給你一美元。
(He hands Harry a dollar, and he himself removes the apron.)
(他交給哈里一美元,自己卸下圍裙。)
It won't take a minute.
剪個發只要一會兒工夫。
I know.
我知道。
You don't have to pay me a dollar for a hot towel. My compliments.
你不必為熱毛巾付一美元,那是免費的!
That's OK. (He goes to the door.)
別客氣。(他向門走去。)
Well, take it easy now.
多保重!
Thanks. (He stands a moment, thinking, then turns.)
謝謝!(他站著想了一會兒,然后轉過身。)
Do you mind if I have a look at your oyster? Not at all.
我看看這只牡蠣,可以嗎?當然可以。
(The writer goes to the shelf where Harry has placed the oyster, picks it up, looks at it thoughtfully, puts it back without comment,
(作家走到哈里放置牡蠣的架子旁,把它拿了起來,看著它沉思了片刻,沒有說什么又把它放回原處;
but instead of leaving the shop he looks around and then sits down on a chair in the corner, and lights a cigarette.)
他沒離開理發店,而是環顧了一下四周,然后坐在角落里的一把椅子上,點了一支煙。)
You know, they've got a gadget in New York that anybody can give anybody else a haircut with.
知道嗎,在紐約有種玩意兒,用它誰都能給別人理發。
They have?
是嗎?
Yeah, there was a full-page ad about it in last Sunday's Times.
是的,上星期日的《紐約時報》為它登了個整版的廣告。