In any case, the same as the children, Judge Applegarth, Fenton Lockhart, and you. Judge Applegarth? Who's he?
我就跟他們一樣——孩子們、阿普爾加思評判員、芬頓·洛克哈特還有你。阿普爾加思評判員?他是誰?
He judged swine at a county fair one time, so we call him Judge.
他曾在縣里舉辦的商品交易會上評判過豕,所以我們就稱他為評判員。
Pigs?
你是說豬?
Swine's a little old-fashioned but I prefer it to pigs, and since both words mean the same thing—
“豕”這個字是有點過時了,不過比起“豬”我還是更喜歡它。既然兩個字的意思一樣,
Well, I wouldn't care to call a man like Arthur Applegarth a pig judge.
我不介意稱像亞瑟·阿普爾加思這樣的人為豬評判員。
Did he actually judge swine, as you prefer to put it, at a county fair—one time?
他是不是真的在縣里舉辦的一次商品展銷會上評判過你所說的豕呢?
Nobody checked up. He said he did.
沒有人核實過,是他自己說的。
So that entitled him to be called Judge Applegarth?
他自己這么說,就有資格被人稱為阿普爾加思評判員了嗎?
It certainly did.
當然。
On that basis, Clay's oyster has a big pearl in it because he says so, is that it?
按此推理,克萊說他的牡蠣里有珍珠,那他的牡蠣里面真的就有珍珠了嗎?
I didn't say that.
我沒有這么說。
Are we living in the Middle Ages, Mr. Van Dusen?
范杜森先生,我們是生活在中世紀嗎?
No, this is 1953, Miss McCutcheon.
不是的,麥卡琴小姐,現在是1953年。
Yes, Greeley, and to illustrate what I mean, that's water you have in that bottle. Nothing else.
是的,格里利,為了說明我的意思,你拿的瓶子里是水,沒有別的東西。
Sea water.
是海水。
Yes, but nothing else.
是的,但里面沒有別的東西。