It's not often I get a writer in here.
我這里難得見到作家來。
As a matter of fact you're the only writer I've had in here in twenty years, not counting Fenton.
事實上20年來,你是唯一光顧本店的作家,不算芬頓的話。
Who's he?
他是誰?
He gets out the weekly paper. Writes the whole thing himself.
他出版我們這里的周報,一個人把所有的內容全包了。
Yeah. Well... How about the haircut? OK.
是嗎?嗯,現在理發吧!好的。
(Harry puts a hot towel around the man's head. Miss McCutcheon, carrying a cane chair without one leg, comes in.
(哈里用一條熱毛巾包起男士的頭。麥卡琴小姐走進來,拿著把缺一條腿的藤椅。
With her is Clay with something in his hand, a small boy named Greeley with a bottle of sea water, and Roxanna with an assortment of shells.)
她身后跟著克萊,手里拿著一件東西,一個名叫格里利的小男孩拿著一瓶海水,洛克莎娜拿著各種各樣的貝殼。)
I've got an oyster here, Mr. Van Dusen.
范杜森先生,我找到了一只牡蠣。
Miss McCutcheon claims there's not a big pearl in it.
麥卡琴小姐愣說里面沒有一顆大珍珠。
Is she willing to admit there's a little one in it? I don't know.
她樂意承認里面有顆小珍珠嗎?我不知道。
Mr. Van Dusen, Clay Larrabee seems to believe there's a pearl in this oyster he happens to have found on the beach.
范杜森先生,克萊似乎深信,他在海邊偶然找到的一只牡蠣里面有顆珍珠。
I didn't happen to find it. I went looking for it. You know Black Rock, Mr. Van Dusen?
我可不是偶然發現它的。我是特意去找的。范杜森先生,你知道“黑石”吧?
Well, the tide hardly ever gets low enough for a fellow to get around the ocean side of it,
潮水很少退到低得能讓人到達它靠海的一邊,
but a little while ago it did, so I went around there and I found this oyster.
可剛才,潮水很低,我繞到那邊去了,在那兒找到了這只牡蠣。
I've been here twenty-four years, Clay,
我在此地已有24年了,克萊,
and this is the first time I've ever heard of anybody finding an oyster on our beach—at Black Rock, or anywhere else.
這可是第一次聽說有人在我們這兒的海灘找到牡蠣——不管是在“黑石”還是在別的地方。