The king ground his teeth together.
國王咬牙切齒。
"It still angers me.
“這讓我很生氣。
How could he think I would hurt the boy?
他憑什么認為我要傷害那孩子?
I chose Robert, did I not?
當年我選擇了勞勃,不是嗎?
When that hard day came.
在那艱難的時刻,
I chose blood over honor."
我選擇了家族而不是榮譽。”
He does not use the boy's name.
他不用那男孩的名字。
That made Davos very uneasy.
這讓戴佛斯很不安。
Hope young Edric will recover soon."
“我希望小艾德瑞克盡快康復。”
Stannis waved a hand, dismissing his concern.
史坦尼斯揮揮手,示意不用擔心。
"It is a chill, no more.
“著涼而已。
He coughs, he shivers, he has a fever.
他咳嗽,顫抖,發燒,
Maester Pylos will soon set him right.
派洛斯學士很快就能治好。
By himself the boy is nought, you understand, but in his veins flows my brother's blood.
你知道,那孩子不會有問題,他血管里流著我兄長的血液。
There is power in a king's blood, she says."
國王之血蘊涵著力量,她這么說。”
Davos did not have to ask who she was.
戴佛斯不用問也知道“她”是誰。
Stannis touched the Painted Table.
史坦尼斯觸摸著繪彩桌案。
"Look at it, onion knight.
“看吧,洋蔥騎士。
My realm, by rights.
依律法,這是我的國家,
My Westeros."
我的維斯特洛。”
He swept a hand across it.
他一只手在上面掃過。
"This talk of Seven Kingdoms is a folly.
“七大王國的說法真蠢,
Aegon saw that three hundred years ago when he stood where we are standing.
三百年前,當伊耿站在我們今天所在的地方時,就已明白了這點。
They painted this table at his command.
這張桌子是依他的命令制造的,
Rivers and bays they painted, hills and mountains, castles and cities and market towns, lakes and swamps and forests…
描繪出河流與海灣,丘陵與山脈,城堡、市鎮、湖泊、沼澤和森林…
but no borders.
但沒有邊界。
It is all one.
它是一個整體,
One realm, for one king to rule alone."
一個國家,由一個國王統治。”
"One king" agreed Davos.
“一個國王,”戴佛斯贊同,
"One king means peace."
“一個國王意味著和平。”
"I shall bring justice to Westeros.
“我要給維斯特洛帶來公正。
A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war.
對于公正,亞賽爾爵士了解甚微,就像他對戰爭的了解。
Claw Isle would gain me naught…
蟹島對我沒有好處…
and it was evil, just as you said.
而且如你所言,那是邪惡的舉動。
Celtigar must pay the traitor's price himself, in his own person.
賽提加必須付出謀逆的代價,但應由本人償還,
And when I come into my kingdom, he shall.
將來我一統天下之日會懲罰他,
Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat.
與騷擾老百姓毫無瓜葛。無論高高在上的貴族,還是低賤卑微的小民,行為各有其報應處置。
And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you.
將來有些人失去的不止手指尖,我向你保證,
They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
他們讓我的王國血流成河,我絕不會忘記。”
King Stannis turned from the table.
史坦尼斯轉身離開桌子。
"On your knees, Onion Knight."
“跪下,洋蔥爵士。”
"Your Grace?"
“陛下?”
"For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once.
“因為咸魚和洋蔥,我讓你成為騎士。
For this, I am of a mind to raise you to lord."
為這個,我打算擢升你為領主。”
This?
為這個?
Davos was lost.
戴佛斯不明所以。
"I am content to be your knight, Your Grace.
“能成為您的騎士我就已經很滿足了,陛下…
I would not know how to begin being lordly."
我是做不來領主的。”
"Good.
“很好。
To be lordly is to be false.
做一方之主首先是要虛偽。
I have learned that lesson hard.
我已經學到了這一課,代價沉重。
Now, kneel.
現在快跪下。
Your king commands."
你的國王在命令你。”
Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword.
戴佛斯跪下去,史坦尼斯拔出長劍。
Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it;
梅麗珊卓稱它為“光明使者”,
the red sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed.
英雄之紅劍,經歷過吞噬七神的烈焰考驗。
The room seemed to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard.
劍出鞘時,房間似乎突然變得明亮,
The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now yellow, now red.
劍身閃著詭異的光芒,一會兒橙,一會兒黃,一會兒紅,
The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly.
周遭空氣也跟著變換發光,沒有珠寶能如此絢麗。
But when Stannis touched it to Davos's shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword.
但當史坦尼斯把它搭在戴佛斯肩頭,這感覺跟別的長劍又沒什么不同。
"Ser Davos of House Seaworth," the king said, are you my true and honest liege man, now and forever?"
“席渥斯家族的戴佛斯爵士,”國王說,“你是否為我忠誠的臣民,從今天直到永遠?”
"I am, Your Grace."
“是的,陛下。”
"And do you swear to serve me loyally all your days, to give me honest counsel and swift obedience,
“你是否愿意發誓,終此一生為我效勞,給予我誠實的諫言和絕對的服從,
to defend my rights and my realm against all foes in battles great and small, to protect my people and punish my enemies?"
保護我的權利和我的國家,無論前途艱險,始終與我并肩作戰,照顧我的子民,懲罰我的敵人?”
"I do, Your Grace."
“我愿意,陛下。”
"Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King."
“那么,起來吧,戴佛斯·席渥斯,雨林伯爵,狹海艦隊司令,國王之手。”
For a moment Davos was too stunned to move.
片刻間,戴佛斯驚得動彈不了。
I woke this morning in his dungeon.
今天早晨我還在黑牢中呢。