With Lamprey there was not even that much.
“鰻魚”則連這點也沒有。
I am not a man to him, Davos thought, only a stone that eats and shits and speaks.
在他眼中,我不是人,戴佛斯心想,只是一塊會吃飯會說話會拉屎的石頭。
He decided after a while that he liked Porridge much the better.
他覺得自己比較喜歡“麥片粥”,
Porridge at least seemed to know he was alive, and there was a queer sort of kindness to the man.
他至少還當他是個人,而且懷有一種古怪的仁慈。
Davos suspected that he fed the rats; that was why there were so many.
戴佛斯懷疑這滿黑牢的老鼠正是他喂的。
Once he thought he heard the gaoler talking to them as if they were children, but perhaps he’d only dreamed that.
有一次,他聽見那看守在跟老鼠講話,仿佛當它們是孩子,又或許這只是又一個夢罷。
They do not mean to let me die, he realized.
他們不要我死,他意識到,
They are keeping me alive, for some purpose of their own.
為某種目的,他們要我活下去。
He did not like to think what that might be.
他不愿去想那是什么目的。
Lord Sunglass had been confined in the cells beneath Dragonstone for a time, as had Ser Hubard Rambton’s sons;
桑格拉斯伯爵曾被關在龍石島下的黑牢里,連同赫柏·藍布頓的兩個兒子——
all of them had ended on the pyre.
但他們最終都被活活燒死。
I should have given myself to the sea, Davos thought as he sat staring at the torch beyond the bars.
我早該將自己交付給大海,戴佛斯邊想,邊凝視著欄桿外面的火炬,
Or let the sail pass me by, to perish on my rock.
我早該任憑那艘船過去,死于礁石之上。
I would sooner feed crabs than flames.
喂螃蟹也好過葬身火焰。
Then one night as he was finishing his supper, Davos felt a queer flush come over him.
然后有一天夜里,當戴佛斯快吃完晚飯時,
He glanced up through the bars, and there she stood in shimmering scarlet with her great ruby at her throat,
突然感到一陣詭異的紅暈朝他襲來。他抬起頭,透過欄桿,看到她站在鮮紅的光暈里,大紅寶石戴在喉頭,
her red eyes gleaming as bright as the torch that bathed her.
她紅色的眼睛在火炬的光輝之中閃爍。
“Melisandre,”
“梅麗珊卓,”
he said, with a calm he did not feel.
戴佛斯說,語氣出乎意料地平靜。
“Onion Knight,”
“洋蔥騎士,”
she replied, just as calmly, as if the two of them had met on a stair or in the yard, and were exchanging polite greetings.
她也同樣平靜地答道,仿佛他倆正在宮殿或庭院里互致問候,
“Are you well?”
“你還好嗎?”
“Better than I was.”
“比以前好了。”
“Do you lack for anything?”
“你還缺什么?”
“My king. My son. I lack for them.”
“缺了我的國王。缺了我的兒子。”
He pushed the bowl aside and stood.
他推開碗,站起身來。
“Have you come to burn me?”
“你是來燒死我的?”
Her strange red eyes studied him through the bars.
她奇異而血紅的眼睛透過欄桿打量他。
“This is a bad place, is it not?
“這是個糟糕的地方,對嗎?
A dark place, and foul.
黑暗而骯臟,
The good sun does not shine here, nor the bright moon.”
沒有艷陽普照,沒有浩月當空。”
She lifted a hand toward the torch in the wall sconce.
她抬手指向壁臺上的火炬。
“This is all that stands between you and the darkness, Onion Knight.
“在你和黑暗之間,洋蔥騎士,
This little fire, this gift of R’hllor.
只有它,只有這小小的火焰,拉赫洛的禮物。
Shall I put it out?”
假如我把它熄滅……”
“No.”
“不。”
He moved toward the bars.
他走向欄桿,
“Please.”
“不要。”
He did not think he could bear that, to be left alone in utter blackness with no one but the rats for company.
他知道自己無法忍受獨坐在純粹的黑暗之中,和老鼠為伴。
The red woman’s lips curved upward in a smile.
紅袍女的嘴唇向上一卷,露出微笑。
“So you have come to love the fire, it would seem.”
“看來你開始喜歡火焰了。”
“I need the torch.”
“我需要這火炬。”
His hands opened and closed.
他的五指開開合合。
I will not beg her.
我不會求她,
I will not.
決不會。
“I am like this torch, Ser Davos.
“我就好比這火炬,戴佛斯爵士。
We are both instruments of R’hllor.
我倆都是拉赫洛的工具。
We were made for a single purpose—to keep the darkness at bay.
我倆存在的目的只有一個——阻擋黑暗。
Do you believe that?”
你明白嗎?”
“No.”
“不明白。”
Perhaps he should have lied, and told her what she wanted to hear, but Davos was too accustomed to speaking truth.
也許該撒謊,也許該順著她說,但他戴佛斯不是那樣的人。
“You are the mother of darkness.
“你就是黑暗的母親,
I saw that under Storm’s End, when you gave birth before my eyes.”
我在風息堡下親眼見你制造黑暗。”
“Is the brave Ser Onions so frightened of a passing shadow?
“英勇的洋蔥騎士竟然害怕一個過往的影子?
Take heart, then.
抬起頭來吧,
Shadows only live when given birth by light, and the king’s fires burn so low I dare not draw off any more to make another son.
影子是光明的仆人、烈焰的子孫,然而國王的火焰燒得太過微弱,不敢再汲取半分,
It might well kill him.”
否則便會要了他的命。”
Melisandre moved closer.
梅麗珊卓靠近一步。
“With another man, though … a man whose flames still burn hot and high …
“然而,如果有另一個人……一個火焰熾烈燃燒的人……
if you truly wish to serve your king’s cause, come to my chamber one night.
如果你愿意為你的國王效力,請在夜晚造訪我的房間。
I could give you pleasure such as you have never known, and with your life-fire I could make …”
我會帶給你前所未有的歡悅,并用你的生命之火,制造出……”
“… a horror.”
“……一個恐怖的怪物。”
Davos retreated from her.
戴佛斯退離開去。
“I want no part of you, my lady.
“我不想與你、女人,
Or your god.
與你的神有任何瓜葛,
May the Seven protect me.”
愿七神保護我。”
Melisandre sighed.
梅麗珊卓嘆了口氣,