"No," said Tyrion. "My question is when."
“你別兜圈子了,”提利昂說,“我的問題是,他何時去做這些事?”
Varys had laid a finger on his cheek, smiling enigmatically.
瓦里斯把一根指頭放在臉頰,神秘地微笑。
"My lord, a suspicious man might think you wished to find a time
“大人,疑神疑鬼的人會認為你想趁桑鐸·克里岡不在
when Sandor Clegane was not protecting King Joffrey, the better to do the boy some harm."
喬佛里陛下身邊保護的時機,好加害那孩子呢。”
"Surely you know me better than that, Lord Varys," Tyrion said.
“你肯定不會誤會,瓦里斯大人,”提利昂說,
"Why, all I want is for Joffrey to love me."
“啊,我所做的一切不都為了討他喜歡么?”
The eunuch had promised to look into the matter.
太監答應留心這件事。
The war made its own demands, though;
但眼下戰爭自有其需求,
Joffrey's initiation into manhood would need to wait.
喬佛里的成年禮還得擱一擱。
"Doubtless you know your son better than I do," he made himself tell Cersei,
“你對自己兒子的了解當然比我深,”他勉強自己說出違心之論,
"but regardless, there's still much to be said for a Tyrell marriage.
“但無論如何,跟提利爾聯姻值得一試,
It may be the only way that Joffrey lives long enough to reach his wedding night."
因為這或許是惟一可讓喬佛里活到婚禮當晚的方法。”
Littlefinger agreed.
小指頭表示同意:
"The Stark girl brings Joffrey nothing but her body, sweet as that may be.
“史塔克家的女孩固然甜蜜,可除了以身相許,對喬佛里一點用也沒有;
Margaery Tyrell brings fifty thousand swords and all the strength of Highgarden."
瑪格麗·提利爾不同,她有五萬大軍和高庭的全部勢力做嫁妝?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Indeed." Varys laid a soft hand on the queen's sleeve.
“此言有理啊。”瓦里斯把一只柔軟的手搭上太后的袖子。
"You have a mother's heart, and I know His Grace loves his little sweetling.
“陛下,您有慈母的胸懷,我也明白國王陛下很愛他的小甜心。
Yet kings must learn to put the needs of the realm before their own desires.
但我們這些冒昧為政的人,凡事必須以全國百姓福祉為優先考慮,而暫時擱置自身欲望。
I say this offer must be made."
依我看呀,這門婚事勢在必行?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
The queen pulled free of the eunuch's touch.
太后抽開胳膊,擺脫太監的手。
"You would not speak so if you were women.
“你是女人就不會這么講了。
Say what you will, my lords, but Joffrey is too proud to settle for Renly's leavings.
隨你們怎么說,大人們,但喬佛里生性驕傲,他決不會滿足于藍禮的殘羹剩飯,
He will never consent."
決不會答應這門婚事。”
Tyrion shrugged.
提利昂聳聳肩,
"When the king comes of age in three years, he may give or withhold his consent as he pleases.
“三年之后陛下成年,到時方可自行理事,
Until then, you are his regent and I am his Hand, and he will marry whomever we tell him to marry.
在此之前,你是他的攝政,我是他的首相,我們讓他娶誰,他就得娶誰。
Leavings or no."
殘羹剩飯也只能將就將就?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
Cersei's quiver was empty.
瑟曦還在作無謂掙扎:
"Make your offer then, but gods save you all if Joff does not like this girl."
“你們就提親去吧,此事若惹惱小喬,你們就得求諸神保佑了。”
"I'm so pleased we can agree," Tyrion said.
“很高興大家達成共識,”提利昂說,
"Now, which of us shall go to Bitterbridge?
“那么,我們之中誰去苦橋呢?
We must reach Ser Loras with our offer before his blood can cool."
我們的價碼得趕在洛拉斯爵士冷靜下來之前傳達給他。”
"You mean to send one of the council?"
“你打算派御前會議的成員去?”