A red priestess, Catelyn thought, wondering.
似乎是域外的紅袍女祭司,凱特琳好奇地想。
The sect was numerous and powerful in the Free Cities and the distant east, but there were few in the Seven Kingdoms.
這個教派分支繁多,根深葉茂,不過一直都在自由貿易城邦和遙遠的東方活動,向來不大涉足七大王國。
"Lady Stark," Stannis Baratheon said with chill courtesy as he reined up.
“史塔克夫人,”史坦尼斯勒住坐騎,帶著冷冷的禮數打了聲招呼。
He inclined his head, balder than she remembered.
他微微點頭,頭發比她記憶中更少了。
"Lord Stannis," she returned.
“史坦尼斯大人,”她回應。
Beneath the tight-trimmed beard his heavy jaw clenched hard, yet he did not hector her about titles.
在齊整的胡須下,他那巨大的下巴收緊起來,不過他并未在頭銜問題上當即發難。
For that she was duly grateful.
對此她相當感激。
"I had not thought to find you at Storm's End."
“沒想到能在風息堡遇見你。”
"I had not thought to be here."
“我也沒想到自己會來這兒。”
His deepset eyes regarded her uncomfortably.
他那雙深陷的眼睛瞧得她不自在。
This was not a man made for easy courtesies.
這不是一個談吐優雅,風度翩翩的人。
"I am sorry for your lord's death," he said, "though Eddard Stark was no friend to me."
“對于你丈夫的死我很遺憾,”他說,“雖然艾德·史塔克并不是我的朋友。”
"He was never your enemy, my lord.
“他也從來不是您的敵人,大人。
When the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne held you prisoned in that castle, starving, it was Eddard Stark who broke the siege."
當您被提利爾大人和雷德溫大人困在這座城堡,饑餓待斃時,正是艾德·史塔克為您解除了危機。”
"At my brother's command, not for love of me," Stannis answered.
“那是由于我哥哥的命令,并非出于對我的愛護,”史坦尼斯答道。
"Lord Eddard did his duty, I will not deny it.
“史塔克公爵履行了他的職責,這點我不否認。
Did I ever do less?
可我做的難道就不夠嗎?
I should have been Robert's Hand."
成為勞勃首相的本該是我。”
"That was your brother's will. Ned never wanted it."
“那是您哥哥的意思。奈德從未貪圖榮華。”
"Yet he took it. That which should have been mine.
“可他仍舊接受了。而那應當是我的。
Still, I give you my word, you shall have justice for his murder."
即便如此,我還是向你保證,我會為這次謀殺主持正義。”
How they loved to promise heads, these men who would be king.
這些想當國王的人,多喜歡拿人頭來做承諾啊。
"Your brother promised me the same.
“您弟弟也向我作了同樣的承諾。
But if truth be told, I would sooner have my daughters back, and leave justice to the gods.
但說實話,我只想要回我的女兒,而把正義和公道留給不朽的神靈去主宰。
Cersei still holds my Sansa, and of Arya there has been no word since the day of Robert's death."
我的珊莎還在瑟曦手中,而自勞勃駕崩那天起,我便再沒聽到關于艾莉亞的只字片語。”
"If your children are found when I take the city, they shall be sent to you."
“倘若我拿下都城之后找著你的女兒,我會立刻把她們送還于你。”
Alive or dead, his tone implied.
不論死活,這一句他倒沒說出口。
"And when shall that be, Lord Stannis?
“那要等到什么時候,史坦尼斯大人?
King's Landing is close to your Dragonstone, but I find you here instead."
君臨和您的龍石島近在咫尺,可我發現您偏偏來了這里。”
"You are frank, Lady Stark.
“你很坦率,史塔克夫人,
Very well, I'll answer you frankly.
這再好不過,讓我也坦率地回答你。
To take the city, I need the power of these southron lords I see across the field.
要拿下都城,我需要原野對面那些強大的南方諸侯的兵力。
My brother has them.
眼下他們追隨著我弟弟,
I must needs take them from him."
因此我必須從他手中奪過來。”
"Men give their allegiance where they will, my lord.
“大人,天下的律法是,人們要對自己的封君效忠。