I put into his hand a five-pound note.
我把一張五英磅的鈔票塞進他手里。
Without waiting to hear more, I left the kitchen.
我沒有再等他說什么便離開了廚房。
In passing the door of that sanctum some time after, I caught the words, --
不久之后我經過這間密室時,聽見了這樣的話:
"She'll happen do better for him nor ony o't' grand ladies."
“也許她比哪一個闊小姐都更配他呢?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
And again, "If she ben't one o' th' handsomest, she's noan faal and varry good-natured;
接著又說,“雖然她算不上最漂亮,但也不丑,而且脾氣又好。
and i' his een she's fair beautiful, onybody may see that."
我見她長得還是比較好看的,誰都看得出來?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
I wrote to Moor House and to Cambridge immediately, to say what I had done: fully explaining also why I had thus acted.
我立即寫信給沼澤居和劍橋,把我的情況告訴了他們,并詳細解釋了我為什么要這么干。
Diana and Mary approved the step unreservedly.
黛安娜和瑪麗毫無保留地對此表示贊同,
Diana announced that she would just give me time to get over the honeymoon, and then she would come and see me.
黛安娜還說,讓我過好蜜月,就來看我。
"She had better not wait till then, Jane," said Mr. Rochester, when I read her letter to him;
“她還是別等到那個時候吧,簡,”羅切斯特先生聽我讀了她的信后說,
"if she does, she will be too late, for our honeymoon will shine our life long: its beams will only fade over your grave or mine."
“要不然她會太晚了,因為我們的蜜月的清輝會照耀我們一生,它的光芒只有在你我進入墳墓時才會消褪?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
How St. John received the news, I don't know: he never answered the letter in which I communicated it:
圣·約翰對這個消息的反響如何,我一無所知。我透露消息的那封信,他從來沒有回復。
yet six months after he wrote to me, without, however, mentioning Mr. Rochester's name or alluding to my marriage.
但六個月后,他寫信給我,卻沒有提及羅切斯特先生的名字,也沒有說起我的婚事。
His letter was then calm, and, though very serious, kind.
他的信平靜而友好,但很嚴肅。
He has maintained a regular, though not frequent, correspondence ever since:
從那以后,他雖不經常來信,卻按時寫給我,
he hopes I am happy, and trusts I am not of those who live without God in the world, and only mind earthly things.
祝我快樂,并相信我不會是那種活在世上,只顧俗事而忘了上帝的人。
You have not quite forgotten little Adèle, have you, reader? I had not;
你沒有完全忘記小阿黛勒吧,是不是呀,讀者?我并沒有忘記。
I soon asked and obtained leave of Mr. Rochester, to go and see her at the school where he had placed her.
我向羅切斯特先生提出,并得到了他的許可,上他安頓小阿黛勒的學校去看看她。
Her frantic joy at beholding me again moved me much.
她一見我便欣喜若狂的情景,著實令我感動。
She looked pale and thin: she said she was not happy.
她看上去蒼白消瘦,還說不愉快。
I found the rules of the establishment were too strict, its course of study too severe for a child of her age: I took her home with me.
我發現對她這樣年齡的孩子來說,這個學校的規章太嚴格,課程太緊張了。我把她帶回了家。
I meant to become her governess once more, but I soon found this impracticable;
我本想再當她的家庭教師,但不久卻發現不切實際。
my time and cares were now required by another -- my husband needed them all.
現在我的時間與精力給了另一個人——我的丈夫全都需要它。