"Mr. Rochester, I have just discovered the sun is far declined from its meridian, and Pilot is actually gone home to his dinner.
“羅切斯特先生,我剛發現,日色西斜,太陽早過了子午線。派洛特實際上已經回家去吃飯了,
Let me look at your watch."
讓我看看你的手表。”
"Fasten it into your girdle, Janet, and keep it henceforward: I have no use for it."
“把它別在你腰帶上吧,珍妮特,今后你就留著,反正我用不上。”
"It is nearly four o'clock in the afternoon, sir.
“差不多下午四點了,先生。
Don't you feel hungry?"
你不感到餓嗎?”
"The third day from this must be our wedding-day, Jane.
“從今天算起第三天,該是我們舉行婚禮的日子了,簡。
Never mind fine clothes and jewels, now: all that is not worth a fillip."
現在,別去管豪華衣裝和金銀首飾了,這些東西都一錢不值。”
"The sun has dried up all the rain-drops, sir.
“太陽已經曬干了雨露,先生。
The breeze is still: it is quite hot."
微風止了,氣候很熱。”
"Do you know, Jane, I have your little pearl necklace at this moment fastened round my bronze scrag under my cravat?
“你知道嗎,簡,此刻在領帶下面青銅色的脖子上,我戴著你小小的珍珠項鏈。
I have worn it since the day I lost my only treasure, as a memento of her."
自從失去僅有的寶貝那天起,我就戴上它了,作為對她的懷念。”
"We will go home through the wood: that will be the shadiest way."
“我們穿過林子回家吧,這條路最蔭涼。”
He pursued his own thoughts without heeding me.
他順著自己的思路去想,沒有理會我。
"Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog: but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now.
“簡!我想,你以為我是一條不敬神的狗吧,可是這會兒我對世間仁慈的上帝滿懷感激之情。
He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely.
他看事物跟人不一樣,要清楚得多;他判斷事物跟人不一樣,而要明智得多。