"Yes, of friends," I answered rather hesitatingly:
“是的,是朋友,”我遲遲疑疑地面答。
for I knew I meant more than friends, but could not tell what other word to employ.
我知道我的意思超出了朋友,但無法判斷要用什么字。
He helped me.
他幫了我忙。
"Ah! Jane. But I want a wife."
“呵?簡。可是我需要一個妻子。”
"Do you, sir?"
“是嗎,先生?”
"Yes: is it news to you?"
“是的,對你來說是樁新聞嗎?”
"Of course: you said nothing about it before."
“當然,先前你對此什么也沒說。”
"Is it unwelcome news?"
“是一樁不受歡迎的新聞?”
"That depends on circumstances, sir -- on your choice."
“那就要看情況了,先生——要看你的選擇。”
"Which you shall make for me, Jane. I will abide by your decision."
“你替我選擇吧,簡。我會遵從你的決定。”
"Choose then, sir -- her who loves you best."
“先生,那就挑選最愛你的人。”
"I will at least choose -- her I love best.
“我至少會選擇我最愛的人,
Jane, will you marry me?"
簡。你肯嫁給我嗎?”
"Yes, sir."
“肯的,先生。”
"A poor blind man, whom you will have to lead about by the hand?"
“一個可憐的瞎子,你得牽著手領他走的人。”
"Yes, sir."
“是的,先生。”
"A crippled man, twenty years older than you, whom you will have to wait on?"
“一個比你大二十歲的瘸子,你得侍候他的人。”
"Yes, sir."
“是的,先生。”
"Truly, Jane?"
“當真,簡?”
"Most truly, sir."
“完全當真,先生。”
"Oh! my darling! God bless you and reward you!"
“呵,我的寶貝?愿上帝祝福你,報答你!”
"Mr. Rochester, if ever I did a good deed in my life -- if ever I thought a good thought --
“羅切斯特先生,如果我平生做過一件好事——如果我有過一個好的想法——
if ever I prayed a sincere and blameless prayer -- if ever I wished a righteous wish, -- I am rewarded now.
如果我做過一個真誠而沒有過錯的禱告——如果我曾有過一個正當的心愿——那么現在我得到了酬報。
To be your wife is, for me, to be as happy as I can be on earth."
對我來說,做你的妻子是世上最愉快的事了。”