But if you wish me to love you, could you but see how much I do love you, you would be proud and content.
不過要是你希望我愛你,你就只要瞧一瞧我確實多么愛你,你就會自豪和滿足了。
All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you;
我的整個心兒是你的,先生,它屬于你,
and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence for ever."
即使命運讓我身體的其余部份永遠同你分離,我的心也會依然跟你在一起。”
Again, as he kissed me, painful thoughts darkened his aspect.
他吻我的時候,痛苦的想法使他的臉又變得陰沉了。
"My scared vision! My crippled strength!" he murmured regretfully.
“我燒毀了的視力!我傷殘了的體力!”他遺憾地咕噥著。
I caressed, in order to soothe him.
我撫摸著他給他以安慰。
I knew of what he was thinking, and wanted to speak for him, but dared not.
我知道他心里想些什么,并想替他說出來,但我又不敢。
As he turned aside his face a minute, I saw a tear slide from under the sealed eyelid, and trickle down the manly cheek.
他的臉轉開的一剎那,我看到一滴眼淚從封閉著的眼瞼滑下來,流到了富有男子氣的臉頰上。
My heart swelled.
我的心膨脹起來了。
"I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut-tree in Thornfield orchard," he remarked ere long.
“我并不比桑菲爾德果園那棵遭雷擊的老栗子樹好多少,”沒有過多久他說。
"And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?"
“那些殘枝,有什么權利吩咐一棵爆出新芽的忍冬花以自己的鮮艷來掩蓋它的腐朽呢?”
"You are no ruin, sir -- no lightning-struck tree: you are green and vigorous.
“你不是殘枝,先生——不是遭雷擊的樹。你碧綠而茁壯。
Plants will grow about your roots, whether you ask them or not, because they take delight in your bountiful shadow;
不管你求不求,花草會在你根子周圍長出來,因為它們樂于躲在你慷慨的樹蔭下。
and as they grow they will lean towards you, and wind round you, because your strength offers them so safe a prop."
長大了它們會偎依著你,纏繞著你,因為你的力量給了它們可靠的支撐。”
Again he smiled: I gave him comfort.
他再次笑了起來,我又給了他安慰。
"You speak of friends, Jane?" he asked.
“你說的是朋友嗎,簡?”他問。