"Hindostanee."
“印度斯坦語。”
"And what did you do meantime?"
“那時候你干什么呢?”
"I learnt German, at first."
“起初學德語。”
"Did he teach you?"
“他教你嗎?”
"He did not understand German."
“他不懂德語。”
"Did he teach you nothing?"
“他什么也沒有教你嗎?”
"A little Hindostanee."
“教了一點兒印度斯坦語。”
"Rivers taught you Hindostanee?"
“里弗斯教你印度斯坦語?”
"Yes, sir."
“是的,先生。”
"And his sisters also?"
“也教他妹妹們嗎?”
"No."
“沒有。”
"Only you?"
“光教你?”
"Only me."
“光教我。”
"Did you ask to learn?"
“是你要求他教的嗎?”
"No."
“沒有。”
"He wished to teach you?"
“他希望教你?”
"Yes."
“是的。”
A second pause.
他又停頓了一下。
"Why did he wish it? Of what use could Hindostanee be to you?"
“他為什么希望教你?印度斯坦語對你會有什么用處?”
"He intended me to go with him to India."
“他要我同他一起去印度。”
"Ah! here I reach the root of the matter.
“呵!這下我觸到要害了。
He wanted you to marry him?"
他要你嫁給他嗎?”
"He asked me to marry him."
“他求我嫁給他。”
"That is a fiction -- an impudent invention to vex me."
“那是虛構的——胡編亂造來氣氣我。”
"I beg your pardon, it is the literal truth:
“請你原諒,這是千真萬確的事實。
he asked me more than once, and was as stiff about urging his point as ever you could be."
他不止一次地求過我,而且在這點上像你一樣寸步不讓。”
"Miss Eyre, I repeat it, you can leave me.
“愛小姐,我再說一遍,你可以離開我了。
How often am I to say the same thing?
這句話我說過多少次了?
Why do you remain pertinaciously perched on my knee, when I have given you notice to quit?"
我已經通知你可以走了,為什么硬賴在我膝頭上?”
"Because I am comfortable there."
“因為在這兒很舒服。”
"No, Jane, you are not comfortable there, because your heart is not with me: it is with this cousin -- this St. John.
“不,簡,你在這兒不舒服,因為你的心不在我這里,而在你的這位表兄,圣·約翰那里了,
Oh, till this moment, I thought my little Jane was all mine!
呵,在這之前,我以為我的小簡全屬于我的,
I had a belief she loved me even when she left me: that was an atom of sweet in much bitter.
相信她就是離開我了也還是愛我的,這成了無盡的苦澀中的一絲甜味,
Long as we have been parted, hot tears as I have wept over our separation,
盡管我們別了很久,盡管我因為別離而熱淚漣漣,
I never thought that while I was mourning her, she was loving another!
我從來沒有料到,我為她悲悲泣泣的時候,她卻愛著另外一個人!
But it is useless grieving. Jane, leave me: go and marry Rivers."
不過,心里難過也毫無用處,簡,走吧,去嫁給里弗斯吧!”