I softened considerably what related to the three days of wandering and starvation,
我大大淡化了三天的流浪和挨餓的情景,
because to have told him all would have been to inflict unnecessary pain:
因為把什么都告訴他,只會增加他不必要的痛苦。
the little I did say lacerated his faithful heart deeper than I wished.
但是我確實告訴他的一丁點兒,也撕碎了他那顆忠實的心,其嚴重程度超出了我的預料。
I should not have left him thus, he said, without any means of making my way:
他說,我不應該兩手空空地離開他,
I should have told him my intention.
我應該把我的想法跟他說說。
I should have confided in him: he would never have forced me to be his mistress.
我應當同他推心置腹,他決不會強迫我做他的情婦。
Violent as he had seemed in his despair, he, in truth, loved me far too well and too tenderly to constitute himself my tyrant:
盡管他絕望時性情暴烈,但事實上,他愛我至深至親,絕不會變成我的暴君。
he would have given me half his fortune, without demanding so much as a kiss in return,
他寧愿送我一半財產,而連吻一下作為回報的要求都不提。
rather than I should have flung myself friendless on the wide world.
與其讓我把自己舉目無親地拋向茫茫人世,
I had endured, he was certain, more than I had confessed to him.
他確信,我所忍受的比我說給他聽的要嚴重得多。
"Well, whatever my sufferings had been, they were very short,"
“嗯,我受的苦再多,時間都不長。”
I answered: and then I proceeded to tell him how I had been received at Moor House;
我回答。隨后我告訴他如何被接納進沼澤居;
how I had obtained the office of schoolmistress, etc.
如何得到教師的職位,等,
The accession of fortune, the discovery of my relations, followed in due order.
以及獲得財產,發現親戚 按時間順序,——敘述。
Of course, St. John Rivers' name came in frequently in the progress of my tale.
當然隨著故事的進展,圣·約翰·里弗斯的名字頻頻出現。
When I had done, that name was immediately taken up.
我一講完自己的經歷,這個名字便立即提出來了。
"This St. John, then, is your cousin?"
“那么,這位圣·約翰是你的表兄了?”
"Yes."
“是的,”
"You have spoken of him often: do you like him?"
“你常常提到他,你喜歡他嗎?”
"He was a very good man, sir; I could not help liking him."
“他是個大好人,先生,我不能不喜歡他。”
"A good man. Does that mean a respectable well-conducted man of fifty?
“一個好人?那意思是不是一個體面而品行好的五十歲男人?
Or what does it mean?"
不然那是什么意思?”
"St John was only twenty-nine, sir."
“圣·約翰只有二十九歲,先生。”
"'Jeune encore,' as the French say.
“Jeuneencore,”就像法國人說的。
Is he a person of low stature, phlegmatic, and plain.
“他是個矮孝冷淡、平庸的人嗎?
A person whose goodness consists rather in his guiltlessness of vice, than in his prowess in virtue."
是不是那種長處在于沒有過錯,而不是德行出眾的人?”