All the melody on earth is concentrated in my Jane's tongue to my ear
凡我能聽到的世間美妙的音樂,都集中在簡的舌頭上,
(I am glad it is not naturally a silent one):
我很高興它不是天生的沉默
all the sunshine I can feel is in her presence."
凡我能感開到的陽光,都全聚在她身上。”
The water stood in my eyes to hear this avowal of his dependence;
聽完他表示對別人的依賴,我不禁熱淚盈眶。
just as if a royal eagle, chained to a perch, should be forced to entreat a sparrow to become its purveyor.
他仿佛是被鏈條鎖在棲木上的一頭巨鷹,竟不得不企求一只麻雀為它覓食。
But I would not be lachrymose: I dashed off the salt drops, and busied myself with preparing breakfast.
不過,我不喜歡哭哭啼啼,抹掉帶咸味的眼淚,便忙著去準備早餐了。
Most of the morning was spent in the open air.
大半個早上是在戶外度過的。
I led him out of the wet and wild wood into some cheerful fields:
我領著他走出潮濕荒涼的林子,到了令人心曠怡艷的田野。
I described to him how brilliantly green they were;
我向他描繪田野多么蒼翠耀眼,
how the flowers and hedges looked refreshed; how sparklingly blue was the sky.
花朵和樹籬多么生氣盎然,天空又多么湛藍閃亮。
I sought a seat for him in a hidden and lovely spot, a dry stump of a tree;
我在一個隱蔽可愛的地方,替他找了個座位,那是一個干枯的樹樁。
nor did I refuse to let him, when seated, place me on his knee.
坐定以后,我沒有拒絕他把我放到他膝頭上。
Why should I, when both he and I were happier near than apart?
既然他和我都覺得緊挨著比分開更愉快,那我又何必要拒絕呢?
Pilot lay beside us: all was quiet.
派洛特躺在我們旁邊,四周一片寂靜。
He broke out suddenly while clasping me in his arms: --
他正把我緊緊地樓在懷里時突然嚷道:
"Cruel, cruel deserter!
“狠心呀,狠心的逃跑者!
Oh, Jane, what did I feel when I discovered you had fled from Thornfield, and when I could nowhere find you;
呵,簡,我發現你出走桑菲爾德,而又到處找不著你,
and, after examining your apartment, ascertained that you had taken no money, nor anything which could serve as an equivalent!
細看了你的房間,斷定你沒有帶錢,或者當錢派用處的東西,我心里是多么難受呀!
A pearl necklace I had given you lay untouched in its little casket;
我送你的一根珍珠項鏈,原封不動地留在小盒子里。
your trunks were left corded and locked as they had been prepared for the bridal tour.
你的箱子捆好了上了鎖,像原先準備結婚旅行時一樣。
What could my darling do, I asked, left destitute and penniless?
我自問,我的寶貝成了窮光蛋,身邊一個子兒也沒有,她該怎么辦呢?
And what did she do? Let me hear now."
她干了些什么呀?現在講給我聽聽吧。”
Thus urged, I began the narrative of my experience for the last year.
于是在他的敦促之下,我開始敘述去年的經歷了。