"Who the deuce have you been with?"
“你究竟跟誰呆過?”
"If you twist in that way you will make me pull the hair out of your head;
“要是你那么扭動的話,你會弄得我把你的頭發拔下來,
and then I think you will cease to entertain doubts of my substantiality."
那樣我想你再也不會懷疑我是實實在在的人了吧。”
"Who have you been with, Jane?"
“你跟誰呆過一陣子?”
"You shall not get it out of me to-night, sir; you must wait till to-morrow;
“今天晚上別想從我嘴里把話掏出來了,先生。你得等到明天。
to leave my tale half told, will, you know, be a sort of security that I shall appear at your breakfast table to finish it.
你知道,我把故事只講一半,會保證我出現在你的早餐桌旁把其余的講完。
By the bye, I must mind not to rise on your hearth with only a glass of water then:
順便說一句,我得留意別只端一杯水來到你火爐邊,
I must bring an egg at the least, to say nothing of fried ham."
至少得端進一個蛋,不用講油煎火腿了。”
"You mocking changeling -- fairy-born and human-bred!
“你這個愛嘲弄人的丑仙童—一算你是仙女生,凡人養的!
You make me feel as I have not felt these twelve months.
你讓我嘗到了一年來從未有過的滋味。
If Saul could have had you for his David,
要是掃羅能讓你當他的大衛,
the evil spirit would have been exorcised without the aid of the harp."
那就不需要彈琴就能把惡魔趕走了。”
"There, sir, you are redd up and made decent.
“瞧,先生,可把你收拾得整整齊齊,象象樣樣了。
Now I'll leave you: I have been travelling these last three days, and I believe I am tired.
這會兒我得離開你了。最近三天我一直在旅途奔波,想來也夠累的。
Good night."
晚安!”
"Just one word, Jane: were there only ladies in the house where you have been?"
“就說一句話,簡,你前一陣子呆的地方光有女士嗎?”
I laughed and made my escape, still laughing as I ran upstairs.
我大笑著抽身走掉了,跑上樓梯還笑個不停。
"A good idea!" I thought with glee.
“好主意!”我快活地想道。
"I see I have the means of fretting him out of his melancholy for some time to come."
“我看以后的日子我有辦法讓他急得忘掉憂郁了。”