After supper, he began to ask me many questions, of where I had been, what I had been doing, how I had found him out;
晚飯后他開始問我很多問題,我上哪兒去了呀,在干些什么呀,怎么找到他的呀。
but I gave him only very partial replies: it was too late to enter into particulars that night.
不過我回答得很簡略,那夜已經太晚,無法細談了。
Besides, I wished to touch no deep-thrilling chord -- to open no fresh well of emotion in his heart: my sole present aim was to cheer him.
此外,我不想去撥動那劇烈震顫的心弦——不想在他的心田開掘情感的新泉。
Cheered, as I have said, he was: and yet but by fits.
我眼下的唯一目的是使他高興。而如我所說他已很高興,但反復無常。
If a moment's silence broke the conversation, he would turn restless, touch me, then say, "Jane."
要是說話間沉默了一會兒,他會坐立不安,碰碰我,隨后說,“簡。”
"You are altogether a human being, Jane?
“你是十十足足的人嗎,簡?
You are certain of that?"
你肯定是這樣的嗎?”
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr. Rochester."
“我誠懇地相信是這樣。羅切斯特先生。”
"Yet how, on this dark and doleful evening, could you so suddenly rise on my lone hearth?
“可是,在這樣一個悲哀的黑夜,你怎么會突然出現在我冷落的爐邊呢?
I stretched my hand to take a glass of water from a hireling, and it was given me by you:
我伸手從一個傭工那兒取一杯水,結果卻是你端上來的。
I asked a question, expecting John's wife to answer me, and your voice spoke at my ear."
我問了個問題,期待著約翰的妻子回答我,我的耳邊卻響起了你的聲音。”
"Because I had come in, in Mary's stead, with the tray."
“因為我替瑪麗端著盤子進來了。”
"And there is enchantment in the very hour I am now spending with you.
“我現在與你一起度過的時刻,讓人心馳神迷。
Who can tell what a dark, dreary, hopeless life I have dragged on for months past?
誰能料到幾個月來我挨過了黑暗、凄涼、無望的生活?
Doing nothing, expecting nothing; merging night in day;
什么也不干,什么也不盼,白天和黑夜不分。
feeling but the sensation of cold when I let the fire go out, of hunger when I forgot to eat:
爐火熄了便感到冷;忘記吃飯便覺得餓。
and then a ceaseless sorrow, and, at times, a very delirium of desire to behold my Jane again.
隨后是無窮無盡的哀傷,有時就癡心妄想,希望再見見我的簡。