"I thought you would be revolted, Jane, when you saw my arm, and my cicatrised visage."
“我想你看到我的胳膊和疤痕累累的面孔時會覺得厭惡的。”
"Did you? Don't tell me so -- lest I should say something disparaging to your judgment.
“你這樣想的嗎?別同我說這話——不然我會對你的判斷說出不恭的話來。
Now, let me leave you an instant, to make a better fire, and have the hearth swept up.
好吧,讓我走開一會兒,把火生得旺些,把壁爐清掃一下。
Can you tell when there is a good fire?"
火旺的時候,你能辨得出來嗎?”
"Yes; with the right eye I see a glow -- a ruddy haze."
“能,右眼能看到紅光——一陣紅紅的煙霧。”
"And you see the candles?"
“你看得見蠟燭光嗎?”
"Very dimly -- each is a luminous cloud."
“非常模糊——每根蠟燭只是一團發亮的霧。”
"Can you see me?"
“你能看見我嗎?”
"No, my fairy: but I am only too thankful to hear and feel you."
“不行,我的天使。能夠聽見你,摸到你已經是夠幸運了。”
"When do you take supper?"
“你什么時候吃晚飯?”
"I never take supper."
“我從來不吃晚飯。”
"But you shall have some to-night.
“不過今晚你得吃一點。
I am hungry: so are you, I daresay, only you forget."
我餓了,我想你也一樣,不過是忘了罷了。”
Summoning Mary, I soon had the room in more cheerful order: I prepared him, likewise, a comfortable repast.
我把瑪麗叫了進來,讓她很快把房間收拾得更加令人振奮,同時也為他準備了一頓舒心的晚宴。
My spirits were excited, and with pleasure and ease I talked to him during supper, and for a long time after.
我的心情也激動起來,晚餐時及晚餐后同他愉快而自在地談了很久。
There was no harassing restraint, no repressing of glee and vivacity with him;
跟他在一起,不存在那種折磨人的自我克制,不需要把歡快活躍的情緒壓下去。
for with him I was at perfect ease, because I knew I suited him;
同他相處,我無拘無束,因為我知道自己與他很相稱。
all I said or did seemed either to console or revive him.
我的一切言行似乎都撫慰著他,給他以新的生命。
Delightful consciousness!
多么愉快的感覺呀!
It brought to life and light my whole nature: in his presence I thoroughly lived; and he lived in mine.
它喚醒了我全部天性,使它灼灼生輝。在他面前我才盡情地生活著,同樣,在我面前,他才盡情地生活著。
Blind as he was, smiles played over his face, joy dawned on his forehead: his lineaments softened and warmed.
盡管他瞎了,他臉上還是浮起了笑容,額頭映出了歡快,面部表情溫柔而激動。