He replied not: he seemed serious -- abstracted; he sighed; he half-opened his lips as if to speak: he closed them again.
他沒有回答,似乎很嚴肅——散神了。他嘆了口氣,半張開嘴,仿佛想說話,但又閉上了。
I felt a little embarrassed.
我覺得有點兒窘。
Perhaps I had too rashly over-leaped conventionalities; and he, like St. John, saw impropriety in my inconsiderateness.
也許我提議陪伴他,幫助他是自作多情;也許我太輕率了、超越了習俗。而他像圣·約翰一樣。從我的粗疏中看到了我說話不得體。
I had indeed made my proposal from the idea that he wished and would ask me to be his wife:
其實,我的建議是從這樣的思想出發的,就是他希望,也會求我做他的妻子。
an expectation, not the less certain because unexpressed, had buoyed me up, that he would claim me at once as his own.
一種雖然并沒有說出口,卻十分肯定的期待支持著我,認為他會立刻要求我成為他的人。
But no hint to that effect escaping him and his countenance becoming more overcast,
但是他并沒有吐出這一類暗示、他的面部表情越來越陰沉了。
I suddenly remembered that I might have been all wrong, and was perhaps playing the fool unwittingly;
我猛地想到,也許自己全搞錯了,或許無意中充當了傻瓜。
and I began gently to withdraw myself from his arms -- but he eagerly snatched me closer.
我開始輕輕地從他的懷抱中抽出身來——但是他焦急地把我抓得更緊了。
"No -- no -- Jane; you must not go.
“不——不——簡。你一定不能走。
No -- I have touched you, heard you, felt the comfort of your presence -- the sweetness of your consolation: I cannot give up these joys.
不——我已觸摸到你,聽你說活,感受到了你在場對我的安慰——你甜蜜的撫慰。我不能放棄這些快樂,
I have little left in myself -- I must have you.
因為我身上已所剩無多——我得擁有你。
The world may laugh -- may call me absurd, selfish -- but it does not signify.
世人會笑話我——會說我荒唐,自私——但這無傷大雅。
My very soul demands you: it will be satisfied, or it will take deadly vengeance on its frame."
我的心靈企求你,希望得到滿足,不然它會對軀體進行致命的報復。”
"Well, sir, I will stay with you: I have said so."
“好吧,先生,我愿意與你呆在一起、我已經這么說了。”
"Yes -- but you understand one thing by staying with me; and I understand another.
“不錯——不過,你理解的同我呆在一起是一回事,我理解的是另一回事。
You, perhaps, could make up your mind to be about my hand and chair -- to wait on me as a kind little nurse
也許你可以下決心呆在我身邊和椅子旁——像一個好心的小護士那樣侍候我
(for you have an affectionate heart and a generous spirit, which prompt you to make sacrifices for those you pity),
(你有一顆熱誠的心,慷慨大度的靈魂,讓你能為那些你所憐憫的人作出犧牲),
and that ought to suffice for me no doubt.
對我來說,無疑那應當已經夠了。
I suppose I should now entertain none but fatherly feelings for you: do you think so?
我想我現在只能對你懷著父親般的感情了,你是這么想的嗎?
Come -- tell me."
來——告訴我吧?!?span style="white-space:normal;">