He groped; I arrested his wandering hand, and prisoned it in both mine.
他摸了起來。我抓住了他那只摸來摸去的手,雙手緊緊握住它。
"Her very fingers!" he cried;
“就是她的手指!”他叫道,
"her small, slight fingers!
“她纖細的手指!
If so there must be more of her."
要是這樣,一定還有其他部份?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
The muscular hand broke from my custody;
這只強壯的手從我握著的手里掙脫了。
my arm was seized, my shoulder -- neck -- waist -- I was entwined and gathered to him.
我的胳膊被抓住,還有我的肩膀——脖子——腰——我被摟住了,緊貼著他。
"Is it Jane? What is it?
“是簡嗎?這是什么?
This is her shape -- this is her size" ----
她的體形——她的個子——”
"And this her voice," I added.
“還有她的聲音,”我補充說。
"She is all here: her heart, too.
“她整個兒在這里了,還有她的心。
God bless you, sir! I am glad to be so near you again."
上帝祝福你,先生!我很高興離你又那么近了。”
"Jane Eyre! -- Jane Eyre," was all he said.
“簡·愛!簡·愛!”他光這么叫著。
"My dear master," I answered,
“我親愛的主人,”我回答,
"I am Jane Eyre: I have found you out -- I am come back to you."
“我是簡·愛。我找到了你——我回到你身邊來了?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"In truth? -- in the flesh? My living Jane?"
“真的?是她本人?我鮮龍活跳的簡·愛?”
"You touch me, sir, -- you hold me, and fast enough:
“你碰著我,先生——你摟著我,摟得緊緊的。
I am not cold like a corpse, nor vacant like air, am I?"
我并不是像尸體一樣冷,像空氣一般空,是不是?”
"My living darling! These are certainly her limbs, and these her features;
“我鮮龍活跳的寶貝!當然這些是她的四肢,那些是她的五官了。
but I cannot be so blest, after all my misery.
不過那番痛苦之后我可沒有這福份了。
It is a dream; such dreams as I have had at night when I have clasped her once more to my heart, as I do now;
這是一個夢。我夜里常常夢見我又象現在這樣,再一次貼心按著她,
and kissed her, as thus -- and felt that she loved me, and trusted that she would not leave me."
吻她——覺得她愛我,相信她不會離開我。”
"Which I never will, sir, from this day."
“從今天起,先生,我永遠不會離開你了?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Never will, says the vision?
“永遠不會,這個影子是這么說的嗎?
But I always woke and found it an empty mockery;
可我一醒來,總發覺原來是白受嘲弄一場空。
and I was desolate and abandoned -- my life dark, lonely, hopeless --
我凄涼孤獨——我的生活黑暗、寂寞,無望——
my soul athirst and forbidden to drink -- my heart famished and never to be fed.
我的靈魂干渴,卻不許喝水;我的心兒挨餓,卻不給喂食,
Gentle, soft dream, nestling in my arms now, you will fly, too, as your sisters have all fled before you:
溫存輕柔的夢呀,這會兒你偎依在我的懷里,但你也會飛走的,像早己逃之夭夭的姐妹們一樣。
but kiss me before you go -- embrace me, Jane."
可是,吻一下我再走吧——擁抱我一下吧,簡。”
"There, sir -- and there!"'
“那兒,先生——還有那兒呢!”