"Is that what he rang for?" I asked.
“他就為這個按鈴?”我問。
"Yes: he always has candles brought in at dark, though he is blind."
“是的,雖然他眼睛看不見,但天黑后總是讓人把蠟燭拿進去。”
"Give the tray to me; I will carry it in."
“把托盤給我吧,我來拿進去。”
I took it from her hand: she pointed me out the parlour door.
我從她手里接過托盤,她向我指了指客廳門。
The tray shook as I held it; the water spilt from the glass; my heart struck my ribs loud and fast.
我手中的盤子抖動了一下,水從杯子里溢了出來,我的心砰砰撞擊著肋骨。
Mary opened the door for me, and shut it behind me.
瑪麗替我開了門,并隨手關上。
This parlour looked gloomy: a neglected handful of fire burnt low in the grate;
客廳顯得很陰暗。一小堆乏人照看的火在爐中微微燃著。
and, leaning over it, with his head supported against the high, old-fashioned mantelpiece, appeared the blind tenant of the room.
房間里的瞎眼主人,頭靠高高的老式壁爐架,俯身向著火爐。
His old dog, Pilot, lay on one side, removed out of the way, and coiled up as if afraid of being inadvertently trodden upon.
他的那條老狗派洛特躺在一邊,離得遠遠的,卷曲著身子,仿佛擔心被人不經意踩著似的。
Pilot pricked up his ears when I came in: then he jumped up with a yelp and a whine, and bounded towards me: he almost knocked the tray from my hands.
我一進門,派洛特便豎起了耳朵,隨后汪汪汪,嗚嗚嗚叫了一通,跳將起來,竄向了我,差一點掀翻我手中的托盤。
I set it on the table; then patted him, and said softly, "Lie down!"
我把盤子放在桌上,拍了拍它,柔聲地說:“躺下!”
Mr. Rochester turned mechanically to see what the commotion was: but as he saw nothing, he returned and sighed.
羅切斯特先生機械地轉過身來,想看看那騷動是怎么回事,但他什么也沒看見,于是便回過頭去,嘆了口氣。
"Give me the water, Mary," he said.
“把水給我,瑪麗,”他說。
I approached him with the now only half-filled glass; Pilot followed me, still excited.
我端著現在只剩了半杯的水,走近他,派洛特跟著我,依然興奮不已。
"What is the matter?" he inquired.
“怎么回事?”他問。