She started as if she had seen a ghost: I calmed her.
她嚇了一大跳,仿佛見了一個鬼似的。我讓她鎮靜了下來。
To her hurried "Is it really you, miss, come at this late hour to this lonely place?"
她急忙問道:“當真是你嗎,小姐,這么晚了還到這么偏僻的地方來?”
I answered by taking her hand; and then I followed her into the kitchen, where John now sat by a good fire.
我握著她的手回答了她。隨后跟著她走進了廚房,這會兒約翰正坐在熊熊的爐火邊。
I explained to them, in few words, that I had heard all which had happened since I left Thornfield, and that I was come to see Mr. Rochester.
我三言二語向他們作了解釋,告訴他們,我離開桑菲爾德后所發生的一切我都已經聽說了。這回是來看望羅切斯特先生的。
I asked John to go down to the turn-pike-house, where I had dismissed the chaise, and bring my trunk, which I had left there:
還請約翰到我打發了馬車的大路上去一趟,把留在那兒的箱子去取回來。
and then, while I removed my bonnet and shawl,
隨后我一面脫去帽子和披肩,
I questioned Mary as to whether I could be accommodated at the Manor House for the night;
一面問瑪麗能不能在莊園里過夜。
and finding that arrangements to that effect, though difficult, would not be impossible, I informed her I should stay.
后來我知道雖然不容易安排,但還能辦到,便告訴她我打算留宿。
Just at this moment the parlour-bell rang.
正在這時客廳的門鈴響了。
"When you go in," said I,
“你進去的時候,”我說,
"tell your master that a person wishes to speak to him, but do not give my name."
“告訴你主人,有人想同他談談。不過別提我的名字。”
"I don't think he will see you," she answered; "he refuses everybody."
“我想他不會見你,”她回答,“他誰都拒絕。”
When she returned, I inquired what he had said.
她回來時,我問他說了什么。
"You are to send in your name and your business," she replied.
“你得通報姓名,說明來意,”她回答。
She then proceeded to fill a glass with water, and place it on a tray, together with candles.
接著去倒了一杯水,拿了幾根蠟燭,都放進托盤。