It opened slowly: a figure came out into the twilight and stood on the step;
門慢慢地開了。薄暮中一個人影走了出來,站在臺階上。
a man without a hat: he stretched forth his hand as if to feel whether it rained.
一個沒有戴帽子的男人。他伸出手仿佛要感覺一下是不是在下雨。
Dusk as it was, I had recognised him -- it was my master, Edward Fairfax Rochester, and no other.
盡管已是黃昏,我還是認出他來了——那不是別人,恰恰就是我主人,愛德華·費爾法克斯·羅切斯特。
I stayed my step, almost my breath, and stood to watch him -- to examine him, myself unseen, and alas! to him invisible.
我留住腳步,幾乎屏住了呼吸,站立著看他——仔細打量他,而不讓他看見,呵,他看不見我。
It was a sudden meeting, and one in which rapture was kept well in check by pain.
這次突然相遇,巨大的喜說已被痛苦所制約。
I had no difficulty in restraining my voice from exclamation, my step from hasty advance.
我毫不費力地壓住了我的嗓音,免得喊出聲來,控制了我的腳步,免得急乎乎沖上前去。
His form was of the same strong and stalwart contour as ever:
他的外形依然象往昔那么健壯,
his port was still erect, his heir was still raven black; nor were his features altered or sunk:
腰背依然筆直、頭發依然烏黑。他的面容沒有改變或者消瘦。
not in one year's space, by any sorrow, could his athletic strength be quelled or his vigorous prime blighted.
任何哀傷都不可能在一年之內消蝕他強勁的力量,或是摧毀他蓬勃的青春。
But in his countenance I saw a change: that looked desperate and brooding --
但在他的面部表情上,我看到了變化。他看上去絕望而深沉——
that reminded me of some wronged and fettered wild beast or bird, dangerous to approach in his sullen woe.
令我想起受到虐待和身陷囹圄的野獸或鳥類,在惱怒痛苦之時,走近它是很危險的。
The caged eagle, whose gold-ringed eyes cruelty has extinguished, might look as looked that sightless Samson.
一只籠中的鷹,被殘酷地割去了金色的雙眼,看上去也許就像這位失明的參孫。
And, reader, do you think I feared him in his blind ferocity?
讀者呀,你們認為,他那么又瞎又兇,我會怕他嗎?
-- if you do, you little know me.
——要是你認為我怕,那你太不了解我了。
A soft hope blest with my sorrow that soon I should dare to drop a kiss on that brow of rock,
伴隨著哀痛,我心頭浮起了溫存的希望,那就是很快就要膽大包天,吻一吻他巖石般的額頭
and on those lips so sternly sealed beneath it: but not yet.
和額頭下冷峻地封閉的眼瞼。但時機未到,
I would not accost him yet.
我還不想招呼他呢。