I pressed my lips to his once brilliant and now rayless eyes --
我把嘴唇緊貼著當初目光炯炯如今己黯然無光的眼睛上——
I swept his hair from his brow, and kissed that too.
我撥開了他額上的頭發,也吻了一下。
He suddenly seemed to arouse himself: the conviction of the reality of all this seized him.
他似乎突然醒悟,頓時相信這一切都是事實了。
"It is you -- is it, Jane? You are come back to me then?"
“是你——是簡嗎,那么你回到我這兒來啦?”
"I am."
“是的。”
"And you do not lie dead in some ditch under some stream?
“你沒有死在溝里,淹死在溪水底下嗎?
And you are not a pining outcast amongst strangers?"
你沒有憔悴不堪,流落在異鄉人中間嗎?”
"No, sir! I am an independent woman now."
“沒有,先生。我現在完全獨立了。”
"Independent! What do you mean, Jane?"
“獨立!這話怎么講,簡?”
"My uncle in Madeira is dead, and he left me five thousand pounds."
“我馬德拉的叔叔去世了,留給了我五千英鎊。”
"Ah! this is practical -- this is real!" he cried:
“呵,這可是實在的——是真的!”他喊道:
"I should never dream that.
“我決不會做這樣的夢。
Besides, there is that peculiar voice of hers, so animating and piquant, as well as soft:
而且,還是她獨特的嗓子,那么活潑、調皮,又那么溫柔,
it cheers my withered heart; it puts life into it. --
復活了那顆枯竭的心,給了它生命。
What, Janet! Are you an independent woman? A rich woman?"
什么,簡,你成了獨立的女人了?有錢的女人了?”
"Quite rich, sir.
“很有錢了,先生。
If you won't let me live with you,
要是你不讓我同你一起生活,
I can build a house of my own close up to your door, and you may come and sit in my parlour when you want company of an evening."
我可以緊靠你的門建造一幢房子,晚上你要人作伴的時候,你可以過來,坐在我的客廳里。”
"But as you are rich, Jane, you have now, no doubt, friends who will look after you, and not suffer you to devote yourself to a blind lameter like me?"
“可是你有錢了,簡,不用說,如今你有朋友會照顧你,不會容許你忠實于一個像我這樣的瞎眼瘸子?”
"I told you I am independent, sir, as well as rich: I am my own mistress."
“我同你說過我獨立了,先生,而且很有錢、我自己可以作主。”
"And you will stay with me?"
“那你愿意同我呆在一起?”
"Certainly -- unless you object.
“當然——除非你反對。
I will be your neighbour, your nurse, your housekeeper.
我愿當你的鄰居,你的護士,你的管家。
I find you lonely: I will be your companion -- to read to you, to walk with you, to sit with you, to wait on you, to be eyes and hands to you.
我發覺你很孤獨,我愿陪伴你——讀書給你聽,同你一起散步,同你坐在一起,侍候你,成為你的眼睛和雙手。
Cease to look so melancholy, my dear master; you shall not be left desolate, so long as I live."
別再那么郁郁寡歡了,我的親愛的主人,只要我還活著,你就不會孤寂了。”