"I little thought ever to have seen it!
我從來沒有想到會見到這樣的事情!
Some say it was a just judgment on him for keeping his first marriage secret, and wanting to take another wife while he had one living:
有人說那不過是對他瞞了第一次婚姻,妻子活著還想再娶的報應。
but I pity him, for my part."
但拿我來講,我是憐憫他的。”
"You said he was alive?" I exclaimed.
“你說了他還活著?”我叫道。
"Yes, yes: he is alive; but many think he had better he dead."
“是呀,是呀,他還活著。但很多人認為他還是死了的好。”
"Why? How?" My blood was again running cold.
“為什么?怎么會呢?”我的血又冰冷了。
"Where is he?" I demanded. "Is he in England?"
“他在哪兒?”我問。“在英國嗎?”
"Ay -- ay -- he's in England; he can't get out of England, I fancy -- he's a fixture now."
“呵——呵——他是在英國,他沒有辦法走出英國,我想——現在他是寸步難行了。”
What agony was this!
那是什么病痛呀?
And the man seemed resolved to protract it.
這人似乎決意吞吞吐吐。
"He is stone-blind," he said at last.
“他全瞎了,”他終于說。
"Yes, he is stone-blind, is Mr. Edward."
“是呀,他全瞎了——愛德華先生。”
I had dreaded worse.
我擔心更壞的結局,
I had dreaded he was mad.
擔心他瘋了。
I summoned strength to ask what had caused this calamity.
我鼓足勇氣問他造成災難的原因。
"It was all his own courage, and a body may say, his kindness, in a way, ma'am:
“全是因為他的膽量,你也可以說,因為他的善良,小姐。
he wouldn't leave the house till every one else was out before him.
他要等所有的人在他之前逃出來了才肯離開房子。