Gemma was busy with her towel. "Thanks, Luke," she said.
杰瑪忙著用毛巾擦汗。“謝謝你,盧克。”她說。
Luke could not take his eyes away from Gemma. "You're a runner," he said. "I never knew that."
盧克無法把目光從杰瑪身上移開。“你是個跑步運動員。”他說,“我從來不知道呢。”
"You never asked me," said Gemma. She smiled at Luke, a long slow warm smile.
“你從來沒問過我。”杰瑪說。她對盧克慢慢展開一個悠長而溫暖的微笑。
Luke looked down into her blue eyes. He looked for a long time.
盧克低頭看著她藍色的眼睛。他久久凝望著。
A new and wonderful idea came into his head. "Wow," he said again. "I never saw your eyes before - they're... beautiful."
他的腦海里出現了一個全新且很棒的念頭。“哇,”他又說,“我從沒看過你的眼睛——你的眼睛真美。”
Gemma laughed. "I wear glasses at work," she said. "That's why."
杰瑪笑了。“我工作的時候戴眼鏡。”她說,“所以你沒見過。”
Luke Suddenly remembered. "Hey, you're tired, you just ran a race. Let's sit down."
盧克突然想起了什么。“嘿,你累了。你剛剛跑完比賽。我們坐下吧。”
They sat down on a low wall together. Around them, other people talked about the race, but Luke and Gemma did not hear them or see them.
他們一起在一堵矮墻上坐下。在他們周圍,其他人在談論這場比賽,不過盧克和杰瑪對旁人不聞不見。
They sat quietly and Gemma drank some water.
他們靜靜地坐著。杰瑪喝了些水。
Luke wanted to say a lot of things, but he could not find the right words. Then he opened his mouth - and all the right words came out.
盧克有千言萬語,卻找不到合適的詞。然后他張開嘴一一該說的話都說出了口。
"Gemma, have you got a bike?" he asked.
“杰瑪,你有自行車嗎?”他問。
"Yes," she said. "Last year I went to Utrecht for a week in the summer, and I went everywhere by bike."
“有啊。”她說,“去年夏天,我去烏得勒支住了一個星期,我去哪兒都騎車。”
"Do you like swimming?"
“你喜歡游泳嗎?”
"Yes, and I love swimming in the sea - it's the best."
“喜歡,而且我喜歡在海里游泳一一那是最棒的。”
"And you like Black Phoenix, and the Tree Rats."
“而且你喜歡黑鳳凰樂隊和棘鼠樂隊。”
"And Darkwater," said Gemma. "They're like the Tree Rats, but better."
“還有暗水樂隊。”杰瑪說,“他們和棘鼠風格相近,不過要更勝一籌。”
"Darkwater?" said Luke. "I like them, they're really great. Hey, they're at the Mountain Club tonight. Would you like to... I mean... Do you... You don"t want to come with me, perhaps?"
“暗水樂隊?”盧克說,“我喜歡他們,他們真的很棒。嘿,他們今晚在大山倶樂部演出。你想不想......我的意思是......你......也許你不想和我一起去吧?”
Gemma laughed, a long happy laugh. "Of course, I want to!" she said. "What time shall we go?"
杰瑪笑了,開心地笑了很久。“我當然想了!”她說,“我們什么時候去?”
Two things, Luke thought. You only need two things. The right questions - and the right answers. Then it's easy.
兩個東西,盧克想。你只需要兩個東西。正確的問題和正確的答案。然后就水到渠成了。