How fast I walked! How I ran sometimes!
我走得好快呀!有時候我那么奔跑著!
How I looked forward to catch the first view of the well-known woods!
我多么希望一眼就看到熟悉的林子呵,
With what feelings I welcomed single trees I knew, and familiar glimpses of meadow and hill between them!
我是帶著怎樣的感情來歡迎我所熟悉的一棵棵樹木,以及樹與樹之間的草地和小山呵!
At last the woods rose; the rookery clustered dark; a loud cawing broke the morning stillness.
樹林終于出現在眼前,白嘴鴉黑壓壓一片,呱呱的響亮叫聲打破了清晨的寂靜。
Strange delight inspired me: on I hastened.
一種奇怪的喜悅激勵著我,使我急煎煎往前趕路,
Another field crossed -- a lane threaded -- and there were the courtyard walls -- the back offices: the house itself, the rookery still hid.
穿過另一片田野——走過一條小徑——看到了院墻——但后屋的下房、府摟本身、以及白嘴鴉的巢穴,依然隱而不見。
"My first view of it shall be in front," I determined,
“我第一眼看到的應是府第的正面,”我心里很有把握,
"where its bold battlements will strike the eye nobly at once, and where I can single out my master's very window:
“那里雄偉醒目的城垛會立刻撲入眼簾;那里我能認出我主人的那扇窗子,
perhaps he will be standing at it -- he rises early: perhaps he is now walking in the orchard, or on the pavement in front.
也許他會佇立窗前——他起得很早。也許他這會兒正漫步在果園里,或者前面鋪筑過的路上。
Could I but see him!
要是我能見見他該多好!
Surely, in that case, I should not be so mad as to run to him?
當然,那樣的話,我不該發瘋跑到他跟前去嗎?
I cannot tell -- I am not certain.
我說不清--我不確定。
And if I did -- what then? God bless him!
如果我做了——那又怎樣?上帝保佑他!
What then? Who would be hurt by my once more tasting the life his glance can give me?
然后呢?誰會因為我再一次嘗到他的目光能帶給我的生活而受到傷害?
I rave: perhaps at this moment he is watching the sun rise over the Pyrenees, or on the tideless sea of the south."
我在囈語。也許此刻他在比利牛斯山或者南部風平浪的的海面上規賞著日出呢。”
I had coasted along the lower wall of the orchard -- turned its angle:
我信步朝果園的矮墻走去,在拐角處轉了彎,
there was a gate just there, opening into the meadow, between two stone pillars crowned by stone balls.
這里有一扇門,開向草地,門兩邊有兩根石柱,頂上有兩個石球。
From behind one pillar I could peep round quietly at the full front of the mansion.
從一根石柱后面我可以悄然四顧,看到府宅的全部正面。
I advanced my head with precaution, desirous to ascertain if any bedroom window-blinds were yet drawn up:
我小心地探出頭去,很希望看個明白,是不是有的窗簾已經卷起。
battlements, windows, long front -- all from this sheltered station were at my command.
從這個隱蔽的地方望去,城垛、窗子和府樓長長的正面,盡收眼底。