I left Moor House at three o'clock P.M., and soon after four I stood at the foot of the sign-post of Whitcross,
下午三點我離開了沼澤居,四點后不久,我便已站在惠特克勞斯的路牌下,
waiting the arrival of the coach which was to take me to distant Thornfield.
等待著馬車把我帶到遙遠的桑菲爾德去。
Amidst the silence of those solitary roads and desert hills, I heard it approach from a great distance.
在荒山野路的寂靜之中,我很遠就聽到了馬車靠近了。
It was the same vehicle whence, a year ago, I had alighted one summer evening on this very spot --
一年前的一個夏夜,我就是從這輛馬車上走下來,就在這個地方——
how desolate, and hopeless, and objectless!
那么凄涼,那么無望,那么毫無目的!
It stopped as I beckoned.
我一招手馬車便停了下來。
I entered -- not now obliged to part with my who le fortune as the price of its accommodation.
我上了車——現在已不必為一個座位而傾囊所有了。
Once more on the road to Thornfield, I felt like the messenger-pigeon flying home.
我再次踏上去桑菲爾德的路途,真有信鴿飛回家園之感。
It was a journey of six-and-thirty hours.
這是一段三十六小時的旅程。
I had set out from Whitcross on a Tuesday afternoon,
星期二下午從惠特克勞斯出發,
and early on the succeeding Thursday morning the coach stopped to water the horses at a wayside inn,
星期四一早,馬車在路邊的一家旅店停下,讓馬飲水。
situated in the midst of scenery whose green hedges and large fields and low pastoral hills
旅店座落在綠色的樹籬、寬闊的田野和低矮的放牧小山之中
(how mild of feature and verdant of hue compared with the stern North-Midland moors of Morton!)
(與中北部莫爾頓嚴峻的荒原相比,這里的地形多么柔和,顏色何等蒼翠!),
met my eye like the lineaments of a once familiar face.
這番景色映入我眼簾,猶如一位一度熟悉的人的面容。
Yes, I knew the character of this landscape: I was sure we were near my bourne.
不錯,我了解這里景物的特點,我確信已接近目的地了。