My eye involuntarily wandered to the grey church tower near the gates, and I asked,
我的目光不由自主地飄向了大門邊灰色的教堂塔樓,我問道,
"Is he with Damer de Rochester, sharing the shelter of his narrow marble house?"
“難道他已隨戴默爾·德·羅切斯特而去,共住在狹窄的大理石房子里?”
Some answer must be had to these questions.
這些問題都得找到答案。
I could find it nowhere but at the inn, and thither, ere long, I returned.
而除了旅店,別處是找不到的。于是不久我便返回那里。
The host himself brought my breakfast into the parlour.
老板親自把早餐端到客廳里來,
I requested him to shut the door and sit down: I had some questions to ask him.
我請他關了門,坐下來。我有些問題要問他,
But when he complied, I scarcely knew how to begin; such horror had I of the possible answers.
但待他答應之后,我卻不知道從何開始了。我對可能得到的回答懷著一種恐俱感,
And yet the spectacle of desolation I had just left prepared me in a measure for a tale of misery.
然而剛才看到的那番荒涼景象,為一個悲慘的故事作好了一定的準備。
The host was a respectable-looking, middle-aged man.
老板看上去是位體面的中年人。
"You know Thornfield Hall, of course?"
“你當然知道桑菲爾德府了?”
I managed to say at last.
我終于啟齒了。
"Yes, ma'am; I lived there once."
“是的,小姐,我以前在那里住過?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Did you?" Not in my time, I thought: you are a stranger to me.
“是嗎?”不是我在的時候,我想。我覺得他很陌生。
"I was the late Mr. Rochester's butler," he added.
“我是已故的羅切斯特先生的管家,”他補充道。
The late! I seem to have received, with full force, the blow I had been trying to evade.
已故的!我覺得我避之不迭的打擊重重地落到我頭上了。
"The late!" gasped. "Is he dead?"
“已故的!”我透不過氣來了。“他死了?”
"I mean the present gentleman, Mr. Edward's father," he explained.
“我說的是現在的老爺,愛德華先生的父親,”他解釋說。
I breathed again: my blood resumed its flow.
我又喘過氣來了,我的血液也繼續流動。
Fully assured by these words that Mr. Edward -- my Mr. Rochester
他的這番話使我確信,愛德華先生——我的羅切斯特先生
(God bless him, wherever he was!) -- was at least alive: was, in short, "the present gentleman."
(無論他在何方,愿上帝祝福他?。┲辽龠€活著,總之還是“現在的老爺”,
Gladdening words!
(多讓人高興的話?。?span style="white-space:normal;">
It seemed I could hear all that was to come -- whatever the disclosures might be -- with comparative tranquillity.
我似乎覺得,不管他會透露什么消息,我會比較平靜地去傾聽。
Since he was not in the grave, I could bear, I thought, to learn that he was at the Antipodes.
我想,就是知道他在新西蘭和澳大利亞,我都能忍受。