I feared now to hear my own story.
我擔心這會兒要聽我自己的故事了。
I endeavoured to recall him to the main fact.
我竭力把他拉回到正題上。
"And this lady?"
“這位太太呢?”
"This lady, ma'am," he answered, "turned out to be Mr. Rochester's wife!
“這位太太,小姐,”他回答,“原來就是羅切斯特先生的妻子!
The discovery was brought about in the strangest way.
發現的方式也是再奇怪不過的。
There was a young lady, a governess at the Hall, that Mr. Rochester fell in" ----
府上有一位年青小姐,是位家庭教師,羅切斯特先生與她相愛了——”
"But the fire," I suggested.
“可是火災呢?”我提醒。
"I'm coming to that, ma'am -- that Mr. Edward fell in love with.
“我就要談到了,小姐——愛德華先生愛上了。
The servants say they never saw anybody so much in love as he was: he was after her continually.
傭人們說,他們從來沒有見到有誰像他那么傾心過。他死死追求她。
They used to watch him -- servants will, you know, ma'am --
他們總是注意著他——你知道傭人們會這樣的,小姐——
and he set store on her past everything: for all, nobody but him thought her so very handsome.
他傾慕她,勝過了一切。所有的人,除了他,沒有人認為她很漂亮。
She was a little small thing, they say, almost like a child.
他們說,她是個小不點兒,幾乎象個孩子。
I never saw her myself; but I've heard Leah, the house-maid, tell of her.
我從來沒有見過她,不過聽女仆莉婭說起過。
Leah liked her well enough.
莉婭也是夠喜歡她的。
Mr. Rochester was about forty, and this governess not twenty;
羅切斯特先生四十歲左右,這個家庭女教師還不到二十歲。
and you see, when gentlemen of his age fall in love with girls, they are often like as if they were bewitched.
你瞧,他這種年紀的男人愛上了姑娘們,往往象是神魂顛倒似的。
Well, he would marry her."
是呀,他要娶她。”
"You shall tell me this part of the story another time," I said;
“這部份故事改日再談吧,”我說,
"but now I have a particular reason for wishing to hear all about the fire.
“而現在我特別想要聽聽你說說大火的事兒。
Was it suspected that this lunatic, Mrs. Rochester, had any hand in it?"
是不是懷疑這個瘋子,羅切斯特太太參與其中?”
"You've hit it, ma'am: it's quite certain that it was her, and nobody but her, that set it going.
“你說對了,小姐。肯定是她,除了她,沒有誰會放火的。