The years pass in their hundreds and their thousands, and what does any man see of life but a few summers, a few winters?
歷史的洪流奔過百年千年,而一個人短暫的一生不就是幾個倉促的夏季,幾個渺小的冬天么?
We look at mountains and call them eternal, and so they seem...
我們仰望著高山,便稱其為永恒,因為它們看來是這樣……
but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea.
然而在時間的長河里,高山升起又倒塌,江河改變了途徑,繁星墜下了天幕,雄城沒入了汪洋。
Even gods die, we think.
若我們所斷不假,連神靈也在生死輪替。
Everything changes.
滄海桑田,世事變遷。”
"Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer.
“魔法或許在遠古時代曾是一種偉大的力量,但那個紀元已經永遠地失落了。
What little remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that lingers in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading.
如今這點殘余就像熄滅的烈火在空中飄散的幾縷煙霧,就連這幾許輕絲也在不斷褪色。
Valyria was the last ember, and Valyria is gone.
瓦雷利亞是最后的灰燼,而它早已熄滅。
The dragons are no more, the giants are dead, the children of the forest forgotten with all their lore.
再沒有龍了,巨人也都死去,森林之子和他們所有的知識被世界所遺忘。”
"No, my prince. Jojen Reed may have had a dream or two that he believes came true, but he does not have the greensight.
“不,我的王子殿下。玖健·黎德或許做過一兩個自以為成真的夢,但他絕沒有綠之視野。
No living man has that power."
活在世上的人沒有一個具有那種能力。”
Bran said as much to Meera Reed when she came to him at dusk as he sat in his window seat watching the lights flicker to life.
黃昏時分,當梅拉來找他時,他把這番話原原本本告訴了她。他坐在窗邊看著四周燈火逐漸亮起,給夜晚帶來生機。
"I'm sorry for what happened with the wolves.
“對狼的事我很抱歉。
Summer shouldn't have tried to hurt Jojen, but Jojen shouldn't have said all that about my dreams.
夏天不該攻擊玖健,可玖健也不該隨便談論我的夢。
The crow lied when he said I could fly, and your brother lied too."
烏鴉說我能飛,它撒了謊,你弟弟也在撒謊。”
"Or perhaps your maester is wrong."
“你不認為或許是你家學士錯了么?”
"He isn't. Even my father relied on his counsel."
“他沒錯。我父親總是聽取他的建議。”
"Your father listened, I have no doubt.
“你父親傾聽,這點我不懷疑。
But in the end, he decided for himself.
但到了決定的時刻,他會自己做主。
Bran, will you let me tell you about a dream Jojen dreamed of you and your fosterling brothers?"
布蘭,就讓我告訴你玖健做過的關于你和你養兄弟的夢吧。”
"The Walders aren't my brothers."
“瓦德們才不是我的兄弟。”
She paid that no heed.
她沒在意。
"You were sitting at supper, but instead of a servant, Maester Luwin brought you your food.
“你坐在晚餐桌邊,上菜的卻不是仆人,而是魯溫學士。
He served you the king's cut off the roast, the meat rare and bloody, but with a savory smell that made everyone's mouth water.
他把烤肉中只配國王享用的部分給了你,那肉半熟而多血,香氣撲鼻,惹得在座人人都流出口水。
The meat he served the Freys was old and grey and dead.
同時,他送給佛雷們的部分卻是又老又灰的死肉,
Yet they liked their supper better than you liked yours."
但他們對到手的食物卻比你更滿意。”
"I don't understand."
“我不懂。”
"You will, my brother says. When you do, we'll talk again."
“你會懂的。我弟弟說了,當你懂得它的含義,我們便可以再談談。”