CHAPTER XXXVI
第三十六章
THE daylight came. I rose at dawn.
白晝來臨,拂曉時我便起身了。
I busied myself for an hour or two with arranging my things in my chamber, drawers, and wardrobe,
我忙了一兩個小時,把房間、抽屜和衣櫥里的東西作了安排。
in the order wherein I should wish to leave them during a brief absence.
根據短期外出的需要,
Meantime, I heard St. John quit his room.
與此同時,我聽到圣·約翰離開了房間,
He stopped at my door: I feared he would knock -- no, but a slip of paper was passed under the door.
在我房門外停了一下,我擔心他會敲門——不,他沒有敲,卻從門底下塞進來一個紙條,
I took it up. It bore these words --
我拿起來一看,只見上面寫著:
"You left me too suddenly last night.
“咋晚你離開我太突然了。
Had you stayed but a little longer, you would have laid your hand on the Christian's cross and the angel's crown.
要是你再呆一會兒,你就會把手放在基督的十字架和天使的皇冠上了。
I shall expect your clear decision when I return this day fortnight.
二周后的今天我回來時盼你已作出明確的決定。
Meantime, watch and pray that you enter not into temptation: the spirit, I trust, is willing, but the flesh, I see, is weak.
同時,你要留心并祈禱,愿自己不受誘惑。我相信,靈是愿意的;但我也看到,肉是軟弱的。
I shall pray for you hourly. -- Yours, ST. JOHN."
我會時時為你祈禱——你的,圣·約翰。”
"My spirit," I answered mentally,
“我的靈,”我心里回答,
"is willing to do what is right; and my flesh, I hope, is strong enough to accomplish the will of Heaven,
“樂意做一切對的事情,我希望我的肉也很堅強,一旦明確上帝的意志、便有力量去實現它。
when once that will is distinctly known to me.
讓我可以去探求——詢問——
At any rate, it shall be strong enough to search -- inquire --
無論如何,我的肉體是夠堅強的,摸索出路,
to grope an outlet from this cloud of doubt, and find the open day of certainty."
驅散疑云,找到確然無疑的晴空。”
It was the first of June; yet the morning was overcast and chilly: rain beat fast on my casement.
這是六月一日。早晨,滿天陰云,涼氣襲人,驟雨敲窗。
I heard the front-door open, and St. John pass out.
我聽見前門開了,圣·約翰走了出去。
Looking through the window, I saw him traverse the garden.
透過窗子,我看到他走過花園,
He took the way over the misty moors in the direction of Whitcross -- there he would meet the coach.
踏上霧蒙蒙的荒原,朝惠特克勞斯方向走去,——那兒他將搭上馬車。