All the house was still; for I believe all, except St. John and myself, were now retired to rest.
整座房子寂靜無聲。因為我相信,除了圣·約翰和我自己,所有的人都安息了。
The one candle was dying out: the room was full of moonlight.
那一根蠟燭幽幽將滅,室內灑滿了月光。
My heart beat fast and thick: I heard its throb.
我的心砰砰亂跳,我聽見了它的搏動聲。
Suddenly it stood still to an inexpressible feeling that thrilled it through, and passed at once to my head and extremities.
突然一種難以言表的感覺使我的心為之震顫,并立即涌向我的頭腦和四肢,我的心隨之停止了跳動。
The feeling was not like an electric shock, but it was quite as sharp, as strange, as startling:
這種感覺不象一陣電擊,但它一樣地尖銳,一樣地古怪,一樣地驚人。
it acted on my senses as if their utmost activity hitherto had been but torpor, from which they were now summoned and forced to wake.
它作用于我的感官,仿佛它們在這之前的最活躍時刻也只不過處于麻木狀態。而現在它們受到了召喚,被弄醒了。
They rose expectant: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones.
它們起來了,充滿了期待,眼睛和耳朵等候著,而肌肉在骨頭上哆嗦。
"What have you heard? What do you see?" asked St. John.
“你聽到了什么啦?你看見什么了嗎?”圣·約翰問。
I saw nothing, but I heard a voice somewhere cry --
我什么也沒有看到,可是我聽見一個聲音在什么地方叫喚著——
"Jane! Jane! Jane!" -- nothing more.
“簡!簡!簡!”隨后什么也聽不到了。
"O God! what is it?" I gasped.
“呵,上帝呀!那是什么聲音?”我喘息著。
I might have said, "Where is it?"
我本該說“這聲音是從哪里來的?”
for it did not seem in the room -- nor in the house -- nor in the garden;
因為它似乎不在房間里——也不在屋子里——也不在花園里。
it did not come out of the air -- nor from under the earth -- nor from overhead.
它不是來自空中——也不是來自地下——也不是來自頭頂。
I had heard it -- where, or whence, for ever impossible to know!
我已經聽到了這聲音——從何而來,或者為何而來,那是永遠無法知道的!
And it was the voice of a human being -- a known, loved, well-remembered voice -- that of Edward Fairfax Rochester;
而這是一個聲音——一個熟悉、親切、記憶猶新的聲音——愛德華·費爾法克斯·羅切斯特的聲音。
and it spoke in pain and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently.
這聲音痛苦而悲哀——顯得狂亂、怪異和急切。