The inquiry was put in gentle tones: he drew me to him as gently.
這問活的語調很溫柔,他同樣溫柔地把我拉向他。
Oh, that gentleness!
呵,那么溫柔!
how far more potent is it than force!
它比強迫要有力得多!
I could resist St. John's wrath: I grew pliant as a reed under his kindness.
我能抵御圣·約翰的憤怒,但面對他的和善,我便像蘆葦一般柔順了。
Yet I knew all the time, if I yielded now, I should not the less be made to repent, some day, of my former rebellion.
但我始終很清楚,要是我現在讓步,有一天我照樣會對我以前的叛逆感到懊悔。
His nature was not changed by one hour of solemn prayer: it was only elevated.
他的本性并不因為一小時的莊嚴析禱而改變,只不過升華了而已。
"I could decide if I were but certain," I answered:
“只要有把握,我就能決定,”我回答:
"were I but convinced that it is God's will I should marry you,
“只要能說服我嫁給你確實是上帝的意志,
I could vow to marry you here and now -- come afterwards what would!"
那我此時此刻就可以發誓嫁給你——不管以后會發生什么?”
"My prayers are heard!" ejaculated St. John.
“我的祈禱應驗了!”圣·約翰失聲叫道。
He pressed his hand firmer on my head, as if he claimed me:
他的手在我頭上壓得更緊了,仿佛他己經把我要去了。
he surrounded me with his arm, almost as if he loved me
他用胳膊摟住我,幾乎像是愛著我
(I say almost -- I knew the difference -- for I had felt what it was to be loved;
(我說“幾乎”——我知道這中間的差別——因為我曾感受過被愛的滋味。
but, like him, I had now put love out of the question, and thought only of duty).
但是像他一樣,我已把愛置之度外,想的只是職守了)。
I contended with my inward dimness of vision, before which clouds yet rolled.
我在疑云翻滾的內心同不明朗的態度斗爭著。
I sincerely, deeply, fervently longed to do what was right; and only that.
我誠懇地、深深地、熱切地期望去做對的事情,也只做對的事情。
"Show me, show me the path!"
“給我指點一下——給我指點一下道路吧?”
I entreated of Heaven.
我祈求上蒼。
I was excited more than I had ever been; and whether what followed was the effect of excitement the reader shall judge.
我從來沒有像現在那么激動過。至于后來發生的事情是不是激動的結果,讀者自可判斷。