"I am coming!" I cried.
“我來了!”我叫道。
"Wait for me! Oh, I will come!"
“等我一下!呵,我會來的!”
I flew to the door and looked into the passage: it was dark.
我飛也似地走到門邊,向走廊里窺視著,那時一燈漆黑,
I ran out into the garden: it was void.
我沖進花園,里邊空空如也。
"Where are you?" I exclaimed.
“你在哪兒?”我喊道。
The hills beyond Marsh Glen sent the answer faintly back --
沼澤谷另一邊的山巒隱隱約約地把回答傳了過來——
"Where are you?" I listened.
“你在哪兒?”我傾聽著。
The wind sighed low in the firs: all was moorland loneliness and midnight hush.
風在冷杉中低吟著,一切只有荒原的孤獨和午夜的沉寂。
"Down superstition!" I commented, as that spectre rose up black by the black yew at the gate.
“去你的迷信!”那幽靈黑魈魈地在門外紫杉木旁邊出現時我說道。
"This is not thy deception, nor thy witchcraft: it is the work of nature.
“這不是你的騙局,也不是你的巫術,而是大自然的功勞。
She was roused, and did -- no miracle -- but her best."
她蘇醒了,雖然沒有創造奇跡,卻盡了最大的努力。”
I broke from St. John, who had followed, and would have detained me.
我掙脫了跟著我并想留住我的圣·約翰。
It was my time to assume ascendency.
該輪到我處于支配地位了。
My powers were in play and in force.
我的力量在起作用,在發揮威力了。
I told him to forbear question or remark; I desired him to leave me: I must and would be alone.
我告訴他不要再提問題,或是再發議論了。我希望他離開我。我必須而且也寧愿一個人呆著。
He obeyed at once.
他立刻聽從了。
Where there is energy to command well enough, obedience never fails.
只要有魄力下命令,別人總是聽話的。
I mounted to my chamber; locked myself in; fell on my knees;
我上樓回臥室,把自己鎖在房里,跪了下來,
and prayed in my way -- a different way to St. John's, but effective in its own fashion.
以我的方式祈禱著——不同于圣·約翰的方式,他自有其效果,
I seemed to penetrate very near a Mighty Spirit; and my soul rushed out in gratitude at His feet.
我似乎已進入了一顆偉大的心靈,我的靈魂感激地沖出去來到他腳邊。
I rose from the thanksgiving -- took a resolve -- and lay down, unscared, enlightened -- eager but for the daylight.
我從感恩中站起來——下了決心——隨后躺了下來,并不覺得害怕,卻受到了啟發——急切地盼著白晝的來臨。